Angle Shooting

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just returned from a trip of live $2/$4 limit, but something bothered me and I’m not really sure why. When I play poker I try and do a lot of things to induce a call or bet from other players. Strangely, off hand I can’t think of anything I really do to induce a fold. Maybe if I bluff I might try and looked relaxed, but that’s about it. On a hand from this trip a players was betting all the way to the river and an older gentleman was calling. Once the 5 cards were out, the aggressor holds up his two cards so only he can see them and says, “I only have two pair”. The older guy didn’t hear him and shows bottom two pair. The aggressor mucks has cards. To me this is borderline cheating. What do you guys think?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he said he had two pair at showdown and he didn't then yes, that's an angle shoot / cheating.

Vollycat

Vollycat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's either me or my ability to read or I am missing your point or definition of 'angle shooting'. If the aggressor, with the better hand, mucks his cards--but has not shown the entire table, then that is called collusion. Either that or he was totally bluffing and got caught and didn't want to show.

If you felt like the guy was just trying to get the old guy to fold without even showing then I guess that could be considered angle shooting...sort of. But people say stuff all the time. If he said, "Hope you can beat quads" and bet again is he angle shooting, or just trying to BS/bluff.

Just trying to understand what you are calling 'angle shooting' here. :)

Cheers

P.S. Ahhh, after I read Oz's post I understand what you were saying a little better. I'm outa the loop a bit lately. I've played frequently where we say anything we can to get into the players head BUT will show to prove the 'lie'.