Was I out of order?

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so started playing on this small site and played this random guy a few times who i beat each time so he started insulting me complaining and following me to other games i was playing to moan and have a go at me.

I registered to a standard turbo heads up game and he decided to play me again convinced he was the better player.

i was already a bit friendly to this guy and could see he was already in a good mood and friendly towards me, so just for kicks i decided to take as long as possible on every single decision and then have a go at him in the chat for taking to long.

He went ballistic not realizing the obvious and typing back in caps "its not me taking to long its you your taking to long. your the one taking ages."

then he told me to fix my internet connection. I pointed out that my internet connection worked fine it was just him taking to long eventually he tilted of most of his stack and then got it all in with his 99 v my 1010.

then followed me to my next games to moan again.

at which point i explained to the table that he was just upset because his internet connection was laggy and he got mad and played bad by tilting of with 99 for 10BB.

which actually is obvious all in but he showed his poker genius by saying well you got it in with 1010. to which i replied 1010 is good to get all in but 99 isnt.

which made him lose it again.

does this make me a bad person or is it okay to wind him up?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find just ignoring people the best way. I don't get involved in these typing wars, that said I'm usually playing multiple tables so can't really do it anyway.

I try to keep the game as nice as possible, I want players to come back, especially the recreational ones. The only time I'd wind someone up, is a reg but even then that's unlikely to happen.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so started playing on this small site and played this random guy a few times who i beat each time

As Ram said, you don't want this guy to get fed up with you and go away, you want him to keep coming back, so play nicely

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hey luke i chuckled when i read your post i bet that player is still cursing you lol. now i wonder if you ever see that player again and if you do how the play goes. yup like the 2 posts before me said it good to keep em coming back for more. thats some funny **** man lmao

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi Luke. This bloke seems the ideal type of person who will return for more, but beware when he gets that AA and you are sat with KK ~ it will happen and no doubt he will give you a torrent of abuse. Then you just have to remind him that it was his money in the first place ~ hehe. Carry on winding him up and let us know what happens next time he appears...........Gl :D:D:D

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luke it's no more wrong than being nice to the weak clueless guys so they play poker with you more often so we can take their money.

It's all in theory a sleazy way to make income but we choose to use it to our advantage.

But hey, If you want the materialstic life it's essential to have a thick face and a black heart 'in poker' not in reality

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends how I feel and how many tables I'm playing, I do like winding people up if i'm bored and/or moody.

yeezus

yeezus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I woulda just ignored him and took his stack as a response

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with most of these replies. I know that some will argue it's bad practice, but I disable chat and do not engage in conversation with anyone online. They cannot see me, I cannot see them, and internet text can be misinterpreted in so many ways, including forum posts (haha).

Instead, I focus on betting patterns. What are the players prone to do with what types of hands? What is the overall "mood" of the table (tight, loose, agressive, wreckless, etc.) and base my decisions off of that, plus some good math and odds calculations.

Playing live, however, listening to conversations and even partaking in a few can really help your image and help you get into the minds of your opponents.

Just my two cents!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
idk... maybe if you're like '18' or something :confused: :confused:

I mean did you 'feel better' after doing this? (did you feel 'better than')?

It just seems goofy & immature to me.... but also pretty typical amongst alot of younger internet poker geeks.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man, don't be a tool in chat. Honestly it's such a bad decision, I get on regs cases whenever I see it.

In this case your hand examples make me think you aren't half as good as you think you are, spewing with 99 HU turbo, punting 10bb with 99. Chances are he was better than you.

Regarding stalling intentionally, it's within your rights but still a real dick move. If I was a recreational player that would put me off playing pretty quickly.

Raizz

Raizz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not unfair, once you can him tilt your golden. I would sit with him every chance i got because i know i can take his money over and over again. I have no problem making others mad while i take their money.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want the bad recreational players to actually enjoy their time playing poker, not getting frustrated, and annoyed. I'm with duggs on this one, the only time I will usually chat anymore is to go off on any regs that decide to berate the fish in chat.

If you have to chat, be nice and polite, and encourage the bad players to keep playing.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You want the bad recreational players to actually enjoy their time playing poker, not getting frustrated, and annoyed. I'm with duggs on this one, the only time I will usually chat anymore is to go off on any regs that decide to berate the fish in chat.

If you have to chat, be nice and polite, and encourage the bad players to keep playing.

I agree.

We want the bad players at our table. Don't scare them away.

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny if you ask me LOL .

Are you the only one hes losing too ?

I bet hes losing to others too and is on his way of looking else where to play possibly .

If your not the only one hes losing too he is more then likely losing to others and will leave any way . I say take what you can from him while he is still offering it .its up to the other player to be conditioned to handle things at the table that may put him on tilt . I feel its not my job to powder his Butt so he fells like coming back ( if hes losing that much against you more then likely hes on his way out or off the site ) .

2 cents worth :) have fun stay with in nice poker etiquette then if its not stated in the rules of the game ( not what rule some one makes up) Go for it and have fun doing it :)

S

SanDiegoAMATEUR

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep taking his cash!!!

It seems as if he's always going to be on tilt playing against you he might get you but you know 80% of the time you'll get him... I have somewhat of a similar problem please let me know on my post what you think!??

Martinez

Martinez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most time, I ignore table chat. But once in a while I like to make a snide comment in a certainn hand just to annoy someone especially if I have a monster hand and get called by someone holding something like J3 off suit hoping to hit a mirracle flop. After the hand when taking his chips, I write something like nice call or well played just to wind them up. I also find it makes them think twice before calling one of my raises again.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to ignore those types of people myself, but to me, the best comment I ever heard was made by Joe Stapleton on a podcast a few years back. He said someone was berating him at a table online and he said:

"Everybody knows you're the best."

I have used it very sparingly and there is just nothing to say in return to that. Just say it once, that's all. It's the quality of the remark and not the quantity of what you say. Plus, you don't come across as being immature. I won't ever use it against regs (ie: Cardschat tournaments or private online games). Stay friendly against people you know even though you are trying to win against them.

The point here is, conduct yourself as a mature adult.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most time, I ignore table chat. But once in a while I like to make a snide comment in a certainn hand just to annoy someone especially if I have a monster hand and get called by someone holding something like J3 off suit hoping to hit a mirracle flop. After the hand when taking his chips, I write something like nice call or well played just to wind them up. I also find it makes them think twice before calling one of my raises again.

Let's discourage them from making plays that increase our EV

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

ive read alot of silly posts in my time..but this is the winner lol

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you're not a bad person at all. some people should not casually chatting, because most of the time is to make you angry and play poorly.

rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i try to not pay too much attention to this and keep emotion out of the game. its toxic. and one thing to remember.....karma...some things will come back to haunt you some things will come back to bless you.its just up to you to chose to take the high road or the low road depending on the circumstances. i try with all my might to stay off the low road. i'll get on it sometimes but im trying not to go there.

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hes been back to play me again he does not understand nash or sage and thus thinks when i shove consistently according to nash that I am the fish and waits to get a big hand before calling. he takes a few bad beats is convinced hes been unlucky and continues to play.

he does not notice that when the chips go all in he wins most of the time but he has folded so much that he gets down to a 3-1 stack then he wins then equal then folds down to 3-1 stack thus he loses for obvious reasons but hes convinced he was unlucky.

now he gets mad and wants revenge on me each time and thinks that im the one who is a bad player. so whenever he comes on i get action. I usually wind him up when Q6 suited sucks out on KQ by calling him a fish for calling with KQ which makes him think I am an idiot and annoys him even further. he got in bad one hand and went down to 90 chips then won to double up to 180 chips after having lost several games to me i said "you lucky bastard" "you lucky lucky bastard"

i was hoping he would say what ive lost all these hands so i could do a monty python and go oh what wouldnt i give too....

but he did not he just called me a ******.