Albert Einstein

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So i found a Quote from Albert Einstein
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Albert einstein

Ae2 So i wonder if he played poker and how good he would have been??:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
^^^ I agree completely....He was a genius but there are/were many physicists with much higher IQs than his.

He figured things out by dogged determination and never giving up. Translates really well to poker.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are more Quotes i found from him,not sure if they are authentic or not ..
Qoutes

Aeienstein 3

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To see him waste his life the way he did, with Physics, when he could have played poker instead...

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Thanks for the free lesson, Einstein!"
I used this a on Absolute Poker when some rookie lambasted me about my completing a flush with pots odds in my favor. He did not know that he had given me good drawing odds and went about trying to explain why I should have not been in the pot. I just let him go on and on and then gave him the above quote. I kind of miss those guys now.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
he would have probably sucked.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does anyone know exactly where he is supposed to have said this or could it be a case of chinese whispers...

because there are quite extensive records to show that this was said by American Senator, Dianne Feinstein LOL

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What would his player name have been?

ShoveEnstein

:icon_scra

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone know exactly where he is supposed to have said this or could it be a case of chinese whispers...

because there are quite extensive records to show that this was said by American Senator, Dianne Feinstein LOL

She's a politician ! (enough said)?

She might have used it, but it certainly pre-existed.

Certainly Einstein is probably credited with a few more things than is true though.

To look at his quotes you wonder if he had enough time for physics.
Or whether his main job was a spin doctor and sound bite maker.

Albert Einstein
You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat. :egg:

F=ma (Newton)
E=MC2 (Einstein)
G=ME4 (Mine)

This science stuff is easy,
and no cats were harmed in the creation of this formula.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
She's a politician ! (enough said)?

She might have used it, but it certainly pre-existed.

As a phrase or concept, I am sure it did pre-exist.
But my question above was rhetorical, the quote IS attributed to her, not to anyone else, including Einstein.
That misunderstanding has arisen because if you search for Einstein quotes, you will get quotes by Einstein, quotes about Einstein, quotes by various Feinsteins and a whole bunch of quotes by different Weinsteins!
There are over 1200 of them here with this particular one credited to the correct author on this page:-

http://www.famousquotes.com/author/einstein/39

(I am absolutely certain that you are very well aware of Einstein's achievements and anyone reading your post who doesn't think so, didn't understand it!)

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I thought listing a few wikipedia listings a bit unnecessary, would rather have seen the full scientific papers on general and special relativity referenced.
What time does this station arrive at the train?

However I still think Dianne Feinstein Famously Quoted Someone Else and shouldn't be given credit for inventing that particular phrase.

If anyone has access to a copy of the princeton university book 'The Ultimate Quotable Einstein' they could verify for us if/when/where our friend Albert might have said it first.
(see sample http://press.princeton.edu/chapters/s6908.html )

I think there is a good chance this quote might be included because it appears to be referenced by people who have read the book.
http://www.bookrags.com/quotes/Albert_Einstein

As shakespeare once said: 'Don't believe everything you read on the internet'.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there is a good chance this quote might be included ....

As shakespeare once said: 'Don't believe everything you read on the internet'.

You think lol

I had a quick look at both of these links but I couldn't see the quote

You'll have to tell me exactly where to look

It isn't there is it? You're just wasting our time!

Don't believe everything you don't read on the Internet

Last edited:
C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a phrase or concept, I am sure it did pre-exist.
But my question above was rhetorical, the quote IS attributed to her, not to anyone else, including Einstein.
That misunderstanding has arisen because if you search for Einstein quotes, you will get quotes by Einstein, quotes about Einstein, quotes by various Feinsteins and a whole bunch of quotes by different Weinsteins!
There are over 1200 of them here with this particular one credited to the correct author on this page:-

http://www.famousquotes.com/author/einstein/39

(I am absolutely certain that you are very well aware of Einstein's achievements and anyone reading your post who doesn't think so, didn't understand it!)

I take your point Feinstein, Weinstein lets just call it Einstein.

http://www.famousquotes.com/show/1478816/

oops they listed it twice.

And she certainly IS credited with saying it in 1994.
I'll give you that. (They're all the right words, but not necessarily in the right chronological order).

The question still remains did she say something original or plagiaristicaly regurgitate a quote?
And was the F dropped recently, to give the present day millions of hits for einstein or were there some pre 1994 references.

I know you believe your question was rhetorical but it is actually a very good question still.
'Does anyone know exactly where he is supposed to have said this or could it be a case of chinese whispers...'

And the answer would be in a book that I can't afford.

So I spent a lot of time trying to find references to it.
In bookrags it was the 52nd listed quote, (yes I wasted my time counting them).
[Edit or Tools and Find in a web browser is easier].

Famous Quotes by Albert Einstein
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else." —Albert Einstein on Inspirational

Further down it gives a list of reference material and includes the authority on verifiable Einstein quotes the Princeton book Quotable Einstein.
I couldn't find an ehm 'evaluation copy' so just included a link to the publishers sample which shows the detail it provides with Where Whens.
[You could buy me a copy for christmas if you like and I'll look it up for you].

There is an amazon link halfway down this nice Einstein fan page if you have money to burn.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Top-101-Fam...-Love-Life-Success-Knowledge-God-and-Religion
(The New Quotable Einstein Amazon Price: $206.37 List Price: $52.50)

Just saying appropriate reference material is required to validate Einstein quotes.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"You have to learn the game first. And then you have to play better than anyone else" - Albert Einstein

Was the game Mr Einstein referring to "Math" ??

Einsteinnnnn

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was the game Mr Einstein referring to "Math" ??

I thought that at one point and did some searches on the quote in relation to Maths.

Found some interesting mathematical papers and spent a few hours distracted by them, so never managed to find out whether it could have been.

And found Some Quotable Quotes for Statistics for a good read (but still nothing on topic).
www.warwick.ac.uk/statsdept/staff/JEHS/data/jehsquot.pdf

Last edited:
P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
high IQ doesnt mean he would be a good poker player.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
high IQ doesnt mean he would be a good poker player.

LOL
Stu unger pic
Yea Stu Unger was said to have a near genius IQ was reported above 180.

Dutch boyd pic
And Dutch Boyd began to attend college at 12yrs old with genius IQ of 150.

ALL IN CLUBS

ALL IN CLUBS

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With Einsteins Math he would have known all his outs less then 3 seconds after the cards hit the felt ..:cool: :cool:

P

postflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL
View attachment 38883
Yea Stu Unger was said to have a near genius IQ was reported above 180.

View attachment 38884
And Dutch Boyd began to attend college at 12yrs old with genius IQ of 150.

Both of them were able to utilise their intelligence and engineer it towards cardplay, whereas Einstein i believe would struggle to steer his massive brain towards the art of poker.

And for the record, Stu Ungar is a great if not the greatest CARDplayer, but in no way is he the best poker player. No discipline, zero bankroll management. Being the best poker player entails having the skills, the discipline, br mgt and the temperament of a champion. Aka Chip Reese.