advice for the ultimate recreational player?

G

gritgar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Suppose you meet someone who is too lazy to study or feels like studying poker is too much work. She wants to learn a few basic concepts and then just go play. Also suppose this person isn't bothered by losing and never tilts. What advice would you give her?

I'd probably advise play money. But failing that, I'd advise:

1. The lowest possible stakes
2. A BR of let's say 5,000 buyins
3. Single tabling only and only play speed tables
4. Chat incessantly during play
5. Play when she feels like it as opposed to keeping track of hot and cold runs
6. The only stop loss is when it's not fun right now
7. Favor kitchen table games

Anything else you guys can think of, or do you disagree with anything I've got listed?

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'd give her a starting hand chart, a primer on position and a wish for good luck. If she's half smart she'll be able to figure out the rest from there.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
And is the "her" you are referring to you wife or girlfriend? Because that changes things.

G

gritgar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And is the "her" you are referring to you wife or girlfriend? Because that changes things.

Nope, just a casual friend who got curious about poker from watching me play and then gagged on all of the demands made on a serious poker player's time. I made it clear to her that it's extremely unlikely she'll be profitable unless she puts in a lot of work, and she shrugged and said she doesn't care.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Suppose you meet someone who is too lazy to study or feels like studying poker is too much work. She wants to learn a few basic concepts and then just go play. Also suppose this person isn't bothered by losing and never tilts. What advice would you give her?

I'd probably advise play money. But failing that, I'd advise:

1. The lowest possible stakes
2. A BR of let's say 5,000 buyins
3. Single tabling only and only play speed tables
4. Chat incessantly during play
5. Play when she feels like it as opposed to keeping track of hot and cold runs
6. The only stop loss is when it's not fun right now
7. Favor kitchen table games

Anything else you guys can think of, or do you disagree with anything I've got listed?
Are you serious?
I have to meet this woman who is willing to take a mans advice:p

G

gritgar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sexist b.s. and horny teenager nonsense aside, thanks to those who attempted to be helpful in their responses.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sexist b.s. and horny teenager nonsense aside, thanks to those who attempted to be helpful in their responses.
:mad: Wow, you see a smiley and still think I was serious, FYI, I'm 41 and married to a wonderful woman.
If I was sexist, I think I would be single and lonely.:mad:

NEWTDOG101

NEWTDOG101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look buddy I know your new around here but this is a well run and respectable forum here and If you would have took the time to look around and read some threads and postings you'd see we have a sense of humor. We were only joking with you, so lighten up! I don't think you want to get off on the wrong foot here, if you want people to respond to you. There are many female members here and I assure you they would tell you that we are non of the above as you described. So chill with that!

Now to answer your OP, after you give her the basics of poker let it go. If she doesn't care to know more that's her. Why give advice when it isn't wanted? You have many players male and female with this type of attitude so it's nothing new, trust me they will learn and if they get serious about playing they will come back and ask for help. Now on the flip side of that you have alot of players in the poker world who were just like this but yet went on to win millions of dollars playing and did no real studying, only went off the basic rules of the game and luck. So tmo and gl with your friend.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't know about advice,,, but you may want to give her a cab fare voucher. Take care

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you serious?
I have to meet this woman who is willing to take a mans advice:p

Loolllll!

But seriously just teach her what hand beats what(two pair beats pair etc) and tell her to play pairs and picture cards and let her go

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry but 5,000 Buyins? consider 100 BB as a standard buy in she'd need $25,000 to play $0.02/$0.05 Hold'em.

essambb

essambb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1-dont play
2-please dont play
3-use the first two tips

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
1-dont play
2-please dont play
3-but if you really must, come play at my table
FYP. :)

But seriously, if she really feels as you say in your original post, I would definitely suggest play money or freerolls. Unless she can stick to a budget, consider it "entertainment funds" and not go over that once it's gone.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play MTTs using Sklansky's "The System"