8$ Into 10,000$ - Challenge

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As many of you have seen by now there are many poker players (Chris Ferguson, Daniel Negreanu, etc.) who have been doing this as of recently. That is turn a little bit of nothing into a lot of bit of something. I thought to myself if they can do it why can't a non-pro do the same thing if he put his mind to it. Now I am NOT a beginner so do not try this as your main source of income if you haven't been doing for while! But I am no pro either. Thus I am doing this as a statement that anyone can succeed at poker with just a little bit of patience, some skill and a little luck.

My challenge? I will be turning 8$ into 10,000$ in TWO months time. Why 8$? 8$ is 200BB of the smallest stake on the site I will be playing (explained later) I will be implementing some similar rules as these pros but I will also be implementing some other rules to maximize profit some of which include multi-tabling among others. My intention is to make this an everyman challenge for the everyday person. Anyone can do this!

The following are the rules I will be adhering to;

1. Site of Play - I will be playing my games at Reefer Poker. Now I know some of you are laughing. But my intention was to play at a smaller site in order to show two things. One - Some people don't have a choice in where they play especially if they aren't willing to invest money in poker. Two - I want to prove that you can succeed at playing no matter what site you play at, not just the lucrative ones. For what it is worth I was a coin flip away from choosing Cake Poker instead.

2. Types of Poker - I will only be allowed to play NLHE and PLO games. These are the two most common forms of poker that are played for real money and thus I will be sticking to those. Any other games will be prohibited. (I still love HORSE, Omaha 8 and Badugi)

3. Types of Games - I will be strictly playing Cash Games and SnG tournaments (Depending on my mood). MTT tournament will be for the most part prohibited except for special circumstance games such an extremely juicy money added tournament or a big guarantee tournament.

4. Promotions - Any promotions from the site that I unlock will be added to my grand total. Any promotions I may have unlocked before will not and all cash from that will be cashed out right away to keep from ruining my running tally.

5. bankroll Management - I will be adhering to the standard bankroll management guide. For cash games I will need 500 BB to move up a level and if I fall below 250 BB then I will move down a level. For Sit n Go's I will need 50 buy-ins to move up a level. If I fall below 25 buy-ins then I will have to move down. For special MTT I will need 75 buy-ins to move up a level. If I fall below 50 buy-ins then I will move down a level.

6. Misc Cash Game Rules - Except for the beginning where I will be playing a short stack strategy the buy-in for cash games will be the maximum amount. If my stack at the table ever exceed 25% of my current bankroll I will be forced to leave when the blinds reach me.

7. Time Frame, Conditions and Prizes - I am trying to get this done faster then ever before so I have set a lofty goal for myself. I will be doing this in TWO months time. During this two months I will be living my life as always (I am a student) and doing my daily activities but I will be spending a substantial time playing poker. Also I will be cashing out periodically to simulate living expenses to make it harder on myself (this will be my discretion). If at the end of two months I have made it to 10,000$ bankroll then I will have completed my challenge and the prizes will be set as follows. 1,000$ will go to a charity of forum voters choices (I am blogging on several different forums) and I will be donating 1,500$ in poker bankrolls as I see fit. I don't know how I will award these yet but supporting my challenge and posting never hurts.

And that is my challenge. If you have any thoughts or ideas I would love to hear them. I will be blogging my play and adventures on all forums (including this one) and sharing the things I learn as I go along.

Good Luck on the felt,
Tyler "CowboySquirrel" Horspool

P.S. If you want to follow my play my screen name is CowboySquirrel1987

JaBone30

JaBone30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have yet to play on reefer but it sounds intresting. I will check back on ur progress though and see how u come out, good luck.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GL to you,I was thinking this sounds like alot to win that fast but you must believe you can do it since you put it out there.I will follow this closely to see how your results go.Will you be posting daily as to the stakes and profit?I will be pulling for you and think it is awesome that you will make donations to charitys and forums.Again best of luck to you.

pedroman7

pedroman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't think it is possible to this in 2 months. I don't think you could do this if you played 16 hours a day 7 days a week. Your goal maybe set a bit high but I hope you can prove me wrong I would love to see it, so good luck.

S

salami1212

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had $10, now have $100 within 3 days playing sngs. Im now going to get this br up to $2000 within 2 months. Ill keep an eye on this thread :)

C

CryingAmy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you play the new depositors freerolls?- 14 days of $500 freerolls would help!

If you can manage to qualify for the daily/ weekly freerolls and get a big cash in them, then I'd say its just about possible, but probably need some luck to get going/ avoid the suckouts early on.

Best of luck anyway!

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good motivation, I just don't think this will be possible in 2 months. If it were even close, I would just keep my mouth shut....didn't it take Chris Ferguson, a pro player, like a year?

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good motivation, I just don't think this will be possible in 2 months. If it were even close, I would just keep my mouth shut....didn't it take Chris Ferguson, a pro player, like a year?

Yea, nearly impossible imo. Unless you play like 18 hours a day. The chances of going broke with an $8 BR are way too high, and your return will be soooo minimal for the first month or so if you are practicing proper BRM.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, nearly impossible imo. Unless you play like 18 hours a day. The chances of going broke with an $8 BR are way too high, and your return will be soooo minimal for the first month or so if you are practicing proper BRM.

not impossible. I turned 0 into 1k in one month practicing proper bankroll management and I played like 3-6 hours a day and sometimes 10-12ish on weekends.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck OP on your totally inovative challenge.

I'm going to start a $9,999 to $10,000 challenge, because all of these other challenges have been beaten to death. I figure the advantage of the $9,999 to $10K challenge is I won't have to waste all that time playing morons at micro stakes. Instead I can spend that time earning my $9,999 at a real job with a different set of morons.

I'll adhere to a strict bankroll management formula like brown bag lunches so I don't spend too much of my bankroll on lunch. I'll also siphon gas from my neighbor's car with a hose to cut down on gas expenses.

I figure I can get to $9,999 in about 4 months. Sure the mortgage company is going to be pissed that I missed some payments. And the electric company is probably going to shut off my power. The cable company is going to take away my internet, but thank god for free wifi at Burger King.

After I have my $9,999, the real challenge will begin. And that will be to find enough All Access visa cards to purchase that total $9,999 so I can deposit. Then totally ignoring standard poker BRM, I will sit with my entire $9,999 bankroll at a $.01/$.02 NL table on Stars. Watch all the little donks go crazy as they try to pry away my hard earned money, and I just try to win a buck. With any success, I'll get to $10,000 quickly and the challenge will be complete.

:D

K

kowboys4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright everyone. It is go time. The site is on eastern time. Most people like to go off of eastern time. I live in Pacific time but whatev. We shall use EST for this little dealio. 6th of May is the last day for me to get to my goal. It is a tough goal indeed as many have indicated but why call it a challenge if it is not really a challenge.

Here is a screen shot of my account for proof. :)

day1reeferpoker.jpg

Also just an information thing to everyone. I have to computers that I use. One has one screen (better for screen shots) and one with two screens (better for multi-tabling). I will changing between the two. I expect my next entry to be at the end of the day. Hopefully, telling you all how i miraculously made it to the next level of play without much effort and a lot of luck.

Lastly, I am starting off short stacked (200 BB) so I will be playing a short-stack strategy to start. I will be playing exclusively at the .02/.04 tables for the better part of the day (starting now).

spranger

spranger

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
this challenge seems pretty damn hard by itself, but the fact that you'll be cashing out makes it even harder.

so basically if you complete it, kowboys4>Jesus Ferguson

O

OOOOO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It won't be possible to do this in two months if you're a student aswell. It sounds like you smoked too much green while you were playing at Reefer Poker. Now your head is stuck in the clouds.

T

TIGERSTUMP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gotta laff

god luvs a tryer tho,,,oh yes and dreamers to...gd luk to ye

Last edited by a moderator:
TheseNutsWin

TheseNutsWin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are not going to make it.... how about a prop bet?

I

ihavea4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow, crazy idea, but good luck. i recently won a freeroll and cashed in a few more and am trying to build my BR from 0. currently i sit right around 20. i would love to build up to 10k, but i'm not putting a time frame on it because i know i'll have losses and those are hard to calculate in. gl though!

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not set a more reasonable goal?

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are not going to make it.... how about a prop bet?

why be so negative? and I bet you this is not impossible and I could do it over again and would love a prop bet. I make the 2k you pay me 20k and if i don't I owe you 2k, since you are so positive this is impossible I want odds. Oh and I also want to see you sit at a table with 20k which you don't have.

D

dillingerdis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, seems like you put a lot of thought into it, just dont know if its possible really. Trust me, im rooting for you, but damn. Good luck and i hope you make it!

A

akaCLINT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best wishes and good luck on this..., two month seems short, but i hope you make it!!!
Will check back regularly as i dont have reefer (yet)
aC

P

pokerjes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guess day 1 didnt go to well, waiting for an update on your progress. gl in your challenge. ;)

imo you need to get comp points to play in the daily 1k, weekly 10k, and the monthy 50k with out going broke, then i think it is possible for you. this adds up close to 7k ( if you score 1st place in all three ) in freeroll winnings ( and they are freerolls ) for the month ( that clears in one week). so for all you nonbelivers it is possible to do in one month with alot of play time

Last edited:
silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This an incredibly lofty goal (the 2 months part), but good luck. Hopefully you can play a lot and keep winning!

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imo you need to get comp points to play in the daily 1k, weekly 10k, and the monthy 50k with out going broke, then i think it is possible for you. this adds up close to 7k ( if you score 1st place in all three ) in freeroll winnings ( and they are freerolls ) for the month ( that clears in one week). so for all you nonbelivers it is possible to do in one month with alot of play time

Frankly, if you can win 1st place in 3 freerolls for 7K, you don't need to be playing freerolls. Even the best tournament players on the planet couldn't win 3 of those in the same month.

F

Fokyernh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats a huuge goal!
but good lucky anybody can do it..
Put your mind to it and you'll do it in no time..
I gotta try out Reefer!

TheseNutsWin

TheseNutsWin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why be so negative? and I bet you this is not impossible and I could do it over again and would love a prop bet. I make the 2k you pay me 20k and if i don't I owe you 2k, since you are so positive this is impossible I want odds. Oh and I also want to see you sit at a table with 20k which you don't have.

Dude what are you talking about?? I`m negative because to make $8 into $10,000 in two months is VERY and i mean VERY UNLIKELY to happen... and you are giving me a prop bet about 2k, we are talking about 8$ into $10,000 here. i`ll make a bet with you about turing 8$ into $10,000 in two months you want to?