What situation were you in when you fold your AA and KK?

Rossta

Rossta

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this person means "What situation were you in when you folded your kings against aces?"

In my case, I have never done this. Mathematically speaking, you should never fold kings preflop. However we have all seen people do it on tv and in videos, but it's very rare for someone to do it and be correct. I wish they would show a video on the wsop tv shows showing people folding hands like that incorrectly.

N

nick1611

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this person means "What situation were you in when you folded your kings against aces?"

In my case, I have never done this. Mathematically speaking, you should never fold kings preflop. However we have all seen people do it on tv and in videos, but it's very rare for someone to do it and be correct. I wish they would show a video on the wsop tv shows showing people folding hands like that incorrectly.

so if your against a tight player and you each have about 150 BB and he raises you raise he raises minimum you raise minimum then he raises all in and if you fold you would have 100BBs left you would call?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

This mathematically speaking comment is wrong. Mathematically speaking, you need to be very sure they have AA, but if your range is 60% AA, 30% AK, 10% QQ, you should fold (.8*.6 + .3*.3 + .1*.2 = .59 = you lose 59% of the time, and if you're 80% sure they have aces, it's an easy fold, those instances just basically never come up. Basically you're right, but mathematically it can be correct).

As for the OP, the only time you should ever fold KK or AA (unless it's KK and you're extremely sure you're up against AA) is in a tournament, where you're near the lower end on the bubble and there's a multi-way pot. Say a tournament pays the top 27 people at least $100. You're in 17th place with 30 left. You pick up AA and when it gets to you 3 people are already all-in and have significant stacks that either you are out or close to out if you don't win. AA against 3 random hands is only 60% to win, and the hands won't be random, they will be better than random. So almost half the time you bust out with nothing, where if you just check-fold your way to the money you'll win $100+. It all depends on the situation though. If a quadrouple up here gives you a shot at $10,000 it may be worth it. I would never fold KK or AA in a cash game unless I am playing against extremely tight players who get scared when KK faces resistance.

allndave

allndave

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't think he said preflop,"
What situation were you in when you fold your AA and KK?
after the flop Ks are easy because as everyone knows KKs an ace magnet.
preflop, never but, mtt down to two tables AA utg had enougth chips to get to final table made small raise got reraised all in by a player with allmost as many chips as i. well long story short he had KQ and hit 2 pair. i got 19th, gotta know when to fold em

S

SICKO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
all that math mumbo jumbo.....play the players not the cards percentages are okay but unless you are a math freak it will take forever to figure it out....for me anyway....i'am talikng live play.. as far as on line goes...NEVER FOLD AA OR KK NEVER SLOW PLAY THEM EITHER!!!!!!

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He said AA AND KK. Therefore, my answer is "When I am playing razz."

T

theWizard-50

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He said AA AND KK. Therefore, my answer is "When I am playing razz."
hahhaha i love it

i'd say the only spot i'd ever fold AA or KK realistically is on a qualifier tournament with an even payout for all the qualifiers and i'm in a good chip position near the bubble. there's no need to put ANY chips in the pot, even with AA.

But with a normal exponentially increasing tournament payout, the cost in the long run of folding is too much to justify folding. Either chip up and give yourself a good chance of placing in a top spot or take a bad beat and go home empty handed. mathematically you'll make more by playing them in the long run.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive never ever folded aces pre flop but i have folded pock kings, i dont know if it was the right move though. But there was a raise, then a 3 bet then i 4bet than original raiser 5 bet then next guy pushed all in (this was a cash game) so i folded kings there presuming surely one had aces, but the original raiser didnt call for me to know

mczilla

mczilla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold these hands when you are chip secure to win a satellite token/ticket
Let the monster stacks and low stacks battle each other

Folding in Poker