What Do You Think Best Bankroll Management Is?

Dlew123

Dlew123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have Heard Lots of Methods and ways, just curious to see what is the most used management Method

Please let known how much bankroll is as well

BenjiHustle

BenjiHustle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go with 30 buy-ins for cash games, 60 for SnG, and 100 for MTT.

This will reduce your ROR to nearly nothing.

Dlew123

Dlew123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been change'ing up my method a bit and it seems to be working

BenjiHustle

BenjiHustle

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
... I don't think you should "change up" your method. It's one thing to have a threshold for taking shots, but you should come up with a solid bankroll management strategy and FOLLOW IT. Following it is the most important factor in BRM.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll Management

Those that play a lot know that this is the most important aspect of poker. It levels out the variance and if you are a good player you should be able to play profitably.

I thought I would run my bankroll management criteria by the seasoned players here for comment.
Ring games. I play at the level that my bankroll has to be 100 times the max buyin level so for the 1c/2c NL with a max buyin of $2.00 it is $200 before I even think of moving up to the 2c/5c level.
Unfortunately I usually get p'd with the site before then and take some out so I never seem to get over this level.
SNG it is 100x buyin and tournament play it is 150x.
Any comments?

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your cash game system is so conservative but very safe though.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just remember Jason Mercier saying never to play anything more than 1% of your bankroll unless the games really good. But if you are playing with $200 I think that you can easily play 5/10 without variance negatively affecting your bankroll if you are a winning player. I just hate playing 2/5 or below, it's just too hard to play optimally with players who just play for luck.

1durrrr1man

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the 100/100/200 rules are there to help profitable poker players have a nut to fall back on and not lose their gamble.

But if you're a recreational player trying to make some side money or just have some fun, then I say play wherever you like.

If you can swing it, then try to keep it at 25/25/50, but don't let that get in the way of you playing somewhere that keeps the rush alive for you.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BRM is key. I have none of it. ;(

Dlew123

Dlew123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just mean i changed what it use to be

and now things are working out better

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
25BI for 6max cash.

Just to follow up on what Benji said. PLEASE stick to proper BRM. Don't go taking shots at higher stakes when you get tilted (like ive done in the past). Trust me it never ends well. Just turn off and go do something else when tilted.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. It really depends on what kind of games you'll be playing.NL? PL? Cash? SNG? MTT?
2. Also depends on what kind of style you have. TAG? LAG? Rock? CS? etc?
3. How much discipline do you have? How well do you control tilt? How much patience do you have?
4. What is your threshold where you can feel comfortable playing with?
5. How many tables will you be playing?

These are just few that you need to consider before considering how many buy-ins you plan to have. Don't just listen to people saying out numbers without solid reasoning.

Every pros will have different numbers. I personally took Dusty Schmidt's advice and started with 100 buy-ins but later, made it 120 buy-ins, while my threshold being 100. Anytime I only have 100 buy-ins, I'll just move down to rebuild the 20 buy-ins I lost while studying my hands of why I lost 20 buy-ins. I am a LAG player with decent/poor tilt control and discipline from time to time that I need room to make up for my leaks and mistakes. Everyone is different and it is important to reflect yourself and to know yourself what kind of player you are before making bankroll management that suits your discipline and style. I will get criticized of my bankroll management that it's extremely nitty and I won't move up easily, but I don't mind moving up slowly because I feel the need to master 100 buy-ins of the stake I currently at to prove that I mastered the stake before I move up and to prove that I've fought through the variance to do so. I played many tables between 8-12 tables, so my mind had to be extremely comfortable where I can laugh off 12 buy-in downswing as it's a really common downswing. Good rule of thumb regarding style is, looser you are in the table, tighter your brm should be by having more buy-ins. tighter you are at the table, you can afford to be looser with brm by having less number of buy-ins and put more at stake.

Some players are very solid, playing TAG, while having good tilt control, patience, and discipline who don't donk off easily and play selectively that they can manage with 20 buy-ins. I personally can't. I've gone broke several times with 20 buy-in brm. But the moment I studied up the game and took Dusty's advice through the book Treat Poker Like a Business, I've been doing well. Of course, all of this was before Black Friday. But my logic and advice still stands.

Bankroll Management doesn't make you a winning player but it'll prevent winning player from going broke.

Last edited:
H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill go for 50-100 buyins cash game, 100 SNG and 150 MTT.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management