Is it time for me go give up?

G

Georgi Grant

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

some people playing micro PLO on Stars lately probably know me. After loosing too much at HE I decided to give PLO last week a try. I even remember google-ing the rules when I was already at the table.

Of course I made all the newbie mistakes, but after watching some videos I changed my gameplay and it became better. Nevertheless, my bankroll is going down, and my winning rate from 19/BB won in 100 hands went down to -23.

I realize that its impossible to start winning after one week, but I continuously have bad gameplay during the last 3 days, and my mood starts to get affected.
Worst days were saturday and sunday.

After analyzing my hands it became clear that I defend my SB/BB too much and play marginal or bad hands.

I am going to post some screens and ask you for general advice what to change in my gameplay. I would appreciate it very much, thanks ;)

Attachments

• bankroll.jpg
    bankroll.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 234
  • winnings.jpg
    winnings.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 234
  • worst_hands.jpg
    worst_hands.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 233
  • best_hands.jpg
    best_hands.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 233
B

braveboat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play PLO so I can't comment on your results.

Let me say this, though... Don't focus on your short term results! Focus on your understanding of the game, strategy, and in making the best decisions in the moment. By concentrating on these items, you should eventually see positive results after variance, etc.

You really can't make any inference from so few hands played, to date. Focus on your game, and leave the results for later - much later!

X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello, I'm also not a Omaha pro.
But there are 3 things that stand out to me:
1. Like you already said, you didn't pay enough attention to your position.
2. I think you play too much hands. I know, in Omaha the equity with a marginal hand drops not so fast like in Holdem and there are only 6 players at the table. But especially for are a beginner it's important, to not play too much hands, because you might get into trouble postflop. It's easier to play a good hand.
3. You seem to overplay some type of hands after the flop. Especially your big pairs. If you don't make a top set, it's often not a good hand anymore, if you don't have outs to a flush or straight. If you're in a multiway hand, you are very often beat.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well sitting on a table without knowing the rules is kind of a red flag.

I think you should try out different stuff (try SnGs if cash is not your thing) before settling into something. Many people think PLO is harder than NLHE and the variance is surely larger.

deceptionist99

deceptionist99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would strongly suggest taking some time off the table to invest in yourself. As a poker player one solution that took me a few years to realize is that if you have leaks off the felt/ in your life, they can carry over into your game and drain your win rate. If variance is drop kicking you in the face take some time to review you hand history,read strategy articles or watch some training videos. One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to be successful at the tables make sure your life is balanced.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
First of all leave Stars!
I play Carbon, BCP and ACR successfully without any huge variance.
Once you are not being smacked down by your big hands meeting even bigger hands on a continuous basis your confidence will return.
Good luck:)

P.S. Omaha is tricky game, recommend until you are a winning NLHE player stay away from omaha.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't give up, but just as anything else in life that you are not successful at, take some time off to study, learn what your mistakes/leaks are, correct them, and work hard to get better!

timfbmx

timfbmx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost everyone that starts plo is a losing player in the beginning. It's an extremely complex game. I can tell you right now if you're just waiting for good hands you're def doing it wrong. Maybe get a membership to runitonce and start watching some of their PLO videos. Don't get discouraged because you lost a little bit over a very in-significant sample size.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To narrow down the range of hands, and not to overplay these hands like AQ and AK.

ViresIntus

ViresIntus

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha is not an easy game to master, but it is gaining more and more popularity. I suggest you dont rely on your premium cards as much if you dont draw them first. Someone has your other Ace or queen so dont rely on ditching two low cards to get lucky. Focus more on straights and flushes, of course if you manage to get a large two pair in hand then bank on those but otherwise PLO is a game where you play MORE hands then you would TH.

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me PLO is better game in terms of momentum of making a play a lot, let say its not a boring game because mostly every hands can be playable but one thing is the most hard for me in PLO, is to bluff. My biggest winning in Poker was from a PLO game. All I can say is be carefull whenever making a bluff..

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pick hands that can make flushes, pairs, connectors and member you only can use 3cards from community cards :) enjoy. if you don't have nutz on flop don't bother bluffing in cash games.

C

carsguitars777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

some people playing micro PLO on Stars lately probably know me. After loosing too much at HE I decided to give PLO last week a try. I even remember google-ing the rules when I was already at the table.

Of course I made all the newbie mistakes, but after watching some videos I changed my gameplay and it became better. Nevertheless, my bankroll is going down, and my winning rate from 19/BB won in 100 hands went down to -23.

I realize that its impossible to start winning after one week, but I continuously have bad gameplay during the last 3 days, and my mood starts to get affected.
Worst days were saturday and sunday.

After analyzing my hands it became clear that I defend my SB/BB too much and play marginal or bad hands.

I am going to post some screens and ask you for general advice what to change in my gameplay. I would appreciate it very much, thanks ;)

If you have to review the rules while playing the game, then you probably need to have much more experiance at the game before you can become a winning player.. I dont say to give up, but play at the lowest limit possible and learn the game before you invest in playing, you will improvr and eventualy become a winning player, but it takes time and practice.

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love Omaha but it's the game of nuts.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi Georgi. I definately say don't give up. I would however make sure you understand the rules of the game, and have some idea of how to play it before you can expect positive results.

Firstly, you should watch some videos on the subject, there are loads about. Try to put your game into action on micro stakes or even play money, just to get you to know/ experiment different types of play you can use. If you want to succeed in PLO it will take twice as much understanding than NLHE, and the swings are far more aggressive. Gl in the future.......:D:D:D

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm on my phone but are you playing 35/3?

Keith_MM

Keith_MM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
since OP hasn't logged in since the first post there is a decent chance that he gave up.

G

greysilverfang

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are doing bad, try to find a play style that works for you, or several, often the difference between succeeding or failing trying another option on your mind for example, if you decide to fold AKJQ on a low bet, or what ever hand you have, and play on flop with the high possibility of winning, you can still get hit with a 1 percent fish, so I guess whether or not you give up or not should be your own decision if you cant din something that works for you i would recommend. at least taking a break.. but yeah i agree with the one guy dont base your overall on your short term play history but i have no idea how long you have actually been playing, in general

rensks

rensks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think with perseverance you can get to be good in any discipline, hope you continued trying and by now you could tell us you consider yourself a good player at PLO

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a break. that's all

G

greysilverfang

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mamazi.ill add ya up but im a leaf in the wind on skype... in other words i sleep alot lol.. but add you i will

P

Philip Cruz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some times we have give up because we cant take risks unecessary

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The OP was a one hit wonder. His OP and Join date are the same as the last activity date.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
or you know, he gave up