Taking a shot at 10nl

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When my bankroll around $180 dollars i took a 3BI shot at 5nl and ran pretty well. i found the game to be almost as easy as 2nl and quickly built my roll up to $330 over 19k hands. Today I decided to take a 3BI shot at 10nl, giving me a decent chance of immediate success at the new limit, and if i don't succeed i can always regrind back to $330 through 5nl and try again until it works.

The shot unfortunately didn't work out. I won and lost a few small pots but there were three big pots where I lost all my buyins. I lost one buy-in KK vs AA, one where i got outdrawn by a maniac who hit a miracle backdoor flush and one where a fish called a 3b with 89 UTG and hit a 7TJ flop vs my AA.

Now I'm back to $300 and my plan has been to regrind 5nl to get back to $330 and try again. But when you guys take a shot and it doesn't work out, is your plan to make up the amount you lost whilst taking the shot or do you spend longer at your lower limit to gain confidence/experience before trying again? e.g. for me maybe i should wait until $400 before trying again at 10nl?

I would like to know how you guys approach the subject of taking shots. How many buyins do you allow for as a stop-loss when taking a shot? I generally feel uncomfortable risking more than 10% of my bankroll. And how many total buyins do you suggest is appropriate? I hear some who suggest move up when you have 20BI at the new limit but i think this would be too volatile for me.

B

baxre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With 300$ bankroll you can play nl10. If you down to 150$ you should go on nl5. You can go to higher limits if you have min 25bi.

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many buyins would you set as a stop loss when taking a shot?

Landopope

Landopope

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would continue to play 10nl with your bankroll. You lost 3 buyins but those were 3 tough hands and you got coolered pretty bad. If you believe you will be more comfortable playing 10nl with a bigger roll than you can grind it back up but I believe you are fine.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why not continue with what's been working? Of course there is always a time to take a shot but it's really whatever you feel comfortable doing. Personally, I'd stick with what's working.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
take another 5bi shot and move down if it fails. rebuild up to 300 then shot again

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take another 5bi shot and move down if it fails. rebuild up to 300 then shot again

i don't like the idea of risking 1/6 of my bankroll on a shot. it might be optimal, but i wouldn't really feel comfortable about it...

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
take the shot if you are comfortable in your ability to beat nl$5 and re-grind back up.

M

mottotom27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's not that i don't think i can regrind it back, it's just in the short run it would be quite demoralising losing such a big chunk of my bankroll that i've worked hard to build.

T

Tgen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would rather go for a 5+ buy in shot , 3 bi is too small to get enough experience and have a decent chance to be successfull , just grind up to 400$ and go for a 10bi shot.

Also dont forget that shots when fail have a huge psychological impact and may cause you to tilt or despair , dont underestimate it , shots are not for everyone especially if you are new to the limit , depending on your behavior you may need to grind 5nl until you are confident for the next limit.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO 25 buy-in is enough for cash games,so $330 is more than enough to play at 10nl.Anyway do what you feel comfortable with 5nl or 10 nl.