Table selection...

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you decide which Full Ring table you want to sit at when selecting one or more for cash game play. I've lately been trying to sit at looser tables >35% Plr/Flp with high Avg. pot >$0.40 and even higher if possible. Is this a good strategy? I'm hoping to find donks and avoid the regs/sharks as much as possible. What do you guys look at? Thanks

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I generally try to play between 2-4 tables. Does playing more tables make table selection even more important? Seems like it would but it might not.

I

imwatcher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think anything over 30% vpip would be good, and about 50c or more average, although if i am going to play LAG i will usually look for tighter players tables

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I color code regs, good regs, and fish. I assume anyone I haven't color coded is bad. So when a table comes up I take a seat if there are bad colored or uncolored full stack players to my right and no good reg is in the 2 seats to my immediate left. I only sit at tables with 2 or less SS and I need extraordinary circumstances to sit with a PoS SSer in the 2 seats to my right. I don't really care how loose or tight a table is playing.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't table select like this as i ask FT to find me tables but I leave pretty quickly if the table looks really reggy/solid.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't table select like this as i ask FT to find me tables but I leave pretty quickly if the table looks really reggy/solid.

I do this too actually. It's just that when it seats me I use my coloring and the stack sizes around me to determine if I want the seat or not.

PNJs_dad

PNJs_dad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I color code regs, good regs, and fish. I assume anyone I haven't color coded is bad. So when a table comes up I take a seat if there are bad colored or uncolored full stack players to my right and no good reg is in the 2 seats to my immediate left. I only sit at tables with 2 or less SS and I need extraordinary circumstances to sit with a PoS SSer in the 2 seats to my right. I don't really care how loose or tight a table is playing.

Never thought of this....I'll try that. Thanks!

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do pretty much the same thing as WV.

But I play 6-max. still applies.
Except I color code Regs/ Good Regs/ gen. fish / nits/ Loose passive fish. Before I leave a table I try to tag everyone.

Then I search the 5 person tables for the one w the most loose passive fish.

I code nits because if there is a 4 person table with a nit to my left and an open seat to my right, Ill take it. Its usually a fish that sits down there anyway @ 10nl.

K

kmind

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically what the others said. I don't really table select at FR because I feel like most regs suck and then there's also the fish. At 6max, be careful because you don't want your ego to get in the way with a reg. when you can just switch tables vs. more fish.

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a question:

When the box comes up asking you if you wish to take a seat at this table, it tells you who the players are, their stack sizes, table VPIP, Avg pot etc but is there a way of knowing, before you sit down, where you will be sat in relation to the others? I'll often accept a seat at a good table and then have to leave as I realise i'm OOP to the regs etc.

Also, I never colour code...will start from today after reading these posts and watching some videos on DTB.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a question:

When the box comes up asking you if you wish to take a seat at this table, it tells you who the players are, their stack sizes, table VPIP, Avg pot etc but is there a way of knowing, before you sit down, where you will be sat in relation to the others? I'll often accept a seat at a good table and then have to leave as I realise i'm OOP to the regs etc.

Also, I never colour code...will start from today after reading these posts and watching some videos on DTB.

No way to see the seat you'll be in without accepting it that I am aware of. I look at stack sizes and color codes when offered the seat and accept if they look OK. Then after seated I just get up if the one SS is on my right or the good reg is on my left or whatever.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do it the same as you pnj's dad. I look for a high plays/flop % and high avg pot. Works out great.

What's more important to me though is the players to the flop %. When I see one thats very high, even if the avg pot is low i'll still pick it because the more players that see the flop the more chance that there's a bunch of loose/passives at the table and those are the ones i like to play against

F

fx20736

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 2NL Full Ring and I look for tables with at least 26% players to see the flop and a pot at least .30. Since I play tight I want to have as many loose, bad players at the table as possible. I've been at a table full of nits like myself and it is horrible as everyone folds when someone raises.
I join the waiting list and then can accept or decline if the table meets my criteria. I will also go through the main lobby and target individual tables and join their waiting lists also.

I have not color coded players yet but do make notes for maniacs and extreme calling stations.

I never even thought about changing seats but will try this as I always want the most aggro players to my right and the calling stations to my left.

Theblueduce

Theblueduce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I look for the tables with at least 30% and then work down and or up from there.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At carbon poker, the players/flop % is usually 50 or higher.

Thus I play there. :)

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I choose the ones that have the nicest sounding names.

soccerrunner8098

soccerrunner8098

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a newer player and don't know all the terminology in regards to online play such as: regs, good regs, fish. Anyone care to elaborate a little more on how they color code and what each code means?

The Dark Side

The Dark Side

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a newer player and don't know all the terminology in regards to online play such as: regs, good regs, fish. Anyone care to elaborate a little more on how they color code and what each code means?

regs = regulars at any given stake. They can be bad or good. But no matter what they will bet tougher to play against than others.
nits = play to tight for their own good
loose passive = plays lots of hands by limping pre-flop. Does more check/calling than bet/raising.
fish = really? salmon, haddock, marlin, etc.

No Brainer

No Brainer

Losing keeps me sane
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/table-selection-170306/ is a good little thread on the topic.

Reading through https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/hand-analysis-lingo-other-poker-terms-80492/ should get you sterted with the lingo.

D

davidjames

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like hillbilly said, I color code all the players I play with. So I just base my table selection off that.