Status
Not open for further replies.
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still in beta, it's free, and the latest version is downloadable from: Stoxpoker Forums - View Single Post - Stox Combo 1.3 Beta

Normally they post updates in this thread: Stox Combo 1.3 Beta - Stoxpoker Forums, so if your version expires that's where you should go to find the new one.

Bryce just made a new video tutorial on how to use it and it's sparked some more motivation for me to go and actually use it to improve my play. I suck at teh maths, so this will help me personally a ton.

Last time I posted about this I got some argumentative posts about the program. If you have a problem with the ethics of it or whatever, I don't really care. I'm just using this thread to record and share analyses of certain situations. Bugger off and go bug Bryce at stoxpoker.com if you don't like it.

What I want to look at is how our opponents distribution on a certain flop changes as his button range is widened. I haven't done any of this ahead of time, so don't expect some revelation from it. Just familiarizing myself with the program and getting the ball rolling :). Of course if you see me doing something wrong or something that might skew the results, pipe up and let me know.

Say we defend JTh in the SB vs a %20 button stealer, and the board comes KdTs2c.

Determining his range is easy, just plug in top %20 and adjust for the hands I think he will 'actually' raise.

Top %20:

t20kj6.jpg

%20 adjusted. Just rough ranges here.

20adjustedgv4.png

If we plug everything into pokerstove, we see we're a small favourite over that range on that flop, but I want to see specifically what types of hands make up his range.

(Selecting different groups is done either by holding shift (shift+1,2,3,4 or 5 for different colours/groups) and selecting whatever hands you choose, or using the preset groups on the right.)

I'm classifying different hands based on how our JTh fares against them: 1) hands that have us beat, 2) hands that have decent equity against us (mostly gutshots with overs, OESDs, etc), and 3) hands we have crushed.

groupsrg3.png

(JTs is the outcast as we chop against it)

Clicking on either the Results tab or the Evaluate button, we get:

resultsfq5.png

...I was going to go to comparative percentages, but since almost every hand in his range (save JTs which again we chop against) is already in use, the %s are exactly the same.

So,
-Hands that beat us: ~%40
-Hands that we crush: ~%38
-Hands that have ok equity against us: ~%20

How we go about playing this is arguable since there are a million other factors to consider, but those numbers above are all I'm concerned with atm.

%30 button range up next....

Future posts shouldn't include multiple screenshots like this, I was just making a kind of demo post to get people trying the program out. When you get the results evaluated for a situation you can save them as a txt file and then copy&paste them here rather than deal with imageshack which is a major pain in the ass.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good stuff. Admittedly, I haven't done nearly as much work with this little gem as I would like. Maybe this thread will be just what I need. I'm kinda busy this weekend, but maybe next week I'll do some work with it.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is sweet, I'm gonna dl and play with it a bit then I'll post here.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So this appears to be a beefed up version of Poker Stove, is that right? I'm being serious. It looks A LOT like it but obviously has some added flexibilty that Poker Stove doesn't. But beyond just having more features, what makes this better? Is it those features that really add value? Or am I totally off base on this? I've downloaded a copy of it but haven't played much beyond a cursory inspection where I came to my Poker Stove comparison question.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So this appears to be a beefed up version of Poker Stove, is that right? I'm being serious. It looks A LOT like it but obviously has some added flexibilty that Poker Stove doesn't. But beyond just having more features, what makes this better? Is it those features that really add value? Or am I totally off base on this? I've downloaded a copy of it but haven't played much beyond a cursory inspection where I came to my Poker Stove comparison question.

This is used for determining the distribution of your opponents range, rather than your equity vs. his range. You can break down your opponents range in to hand types on the flop like pair or better, FD, two pair, set, no pair, etc. . . And then how often they will have each type of hand. It's really awesome for figuring out things like optimal bluff raise frequencies on certain board textures and stuff like that.

Edit : Direct link to tutorial video to learn more

http://www.stoxpoker.com/Bryce/StoxComboTutorial.wmv

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30% range

With known hole cards of Jh Th

All cards Total Combos = 304

AA - 22, AKs - A2s, AKo - A7o, KQs - K5s, KQo - K9o,
QJs - Q7s, QJo - Q9o, JTs - J8s, JTo, T9s - T8s, T9o,
98s, 87s,

* Colour Group 1 (Red (hands that have us crushed)) Combos = 101/304 Percent =33.22%
AKs, ATs, KQs - K5s, QTs,
AKo, ATo, KQo - K9o, QTo,
AA - TT, 22,

* Colour Group 2 (Green (hands that have 'decent' equity against us)) Combos = 59/304 Percent =19.41%
AQs - AJs, QJs, Q9s, J9s,
AQo - AJo, QJo, Q9o,

* Colour Group 3 (Blue (hands that we crush)) Combos = 138/304 Percent =45.39%
A9s - A2s, Q8s - Q7s, J8s, T9s - T8s, 98s, 87s,
A9o - A7o, T9o,
99 - 33,

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
%40 range

%40 11/15/2008 1:21:02 PM
Postflop Analysis with a board of Kd Tc 2s

All cards Total Combos = 421

AA - 22, AKs - A2s, AKo - A3o, KQs - K3s, KQo - K8o,
QJs - Q4s, QJo - Q8o, JTs - J6s, JTo - J8o, T9s - T7s,
T9o, 98s - 97s, 87s,

* Colour Group 1 (Red (hands that crush us)) Combos = 116/421 Percent =27.55%
AKs, ATs, KQs - K3s, QTs,
AKo, ATo, KQo - K8o, QTo,
AA - TT, 22,

* Colour Group 2 (Green (hands that have 'decent' equity against us)) Combos = 56/421 Percent =13.3%
AQs - AJs, QJs, Q9s,
AQo - AJo, QJo, Q9o,

* Colour Group 3 (Blue (hands that we have crushed)) Combos = 243/421 Percent =57.72%
A9s - A2s, Q8s - Q4s, J9s - J6s, T9s - T7s, 98s - 97s,
87s,
A9o - A3o, Q8o, J9o - J8o, T9o,
99 - 33,

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
%50 range

%50 11/15/2008 1:23:54 PM
Postflop Analysis with a board of Kd Tc 2s

All cards Total Combos = 526

AA - 22, AKs - A2s, AKo - A2o, KQs - K2s, KQo - K6o,
QJs - Q2s, QJo - Q7o, JTs - J4s, JTo - J7o, T9s - T6s,
T9o - T7o, 98s - 96s, 98o, 87s - 86s, 76s, 65s,

* Colour Group 1 (Red (crush us)) Combos = 136/526 Percent =25.86%
AKs, ATs, KQs - K2s, QTs,
AKo, ATo, KQo - K6o, QTo,
AA - TT, 22,

* Colour Group 2 (Green (draws)) Combos = 68/526 Percent =12.93%
AQs - AJs, QJs, Q9s, J9s,
AQo - AJo, QJo, Q9o, J9o,

* Colour Group 3 (Blue (we crush)) Combos = 316/526 Percent =60.08%
A9s - A2s, Q8s - Q2s, J8s - J4s, T9s - T6s, 98s - 96s,
87s - 86s, 76s, 65s,
A9o - A2o, Q8o - Q7o, J8o - J7o, T9o - T7o, 98o,
99 - 33,

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And we can visualize the trends as the ranges open up.

Looks like namely at the %30-%40 mark is where we start to see a lot more change in the ranges in our favour. Doesn't change all that much as it approaches %50.

Wanted to do another one tonight but I got lazy. I think next up we can look at similar ranges on a board like 962 rainbow vs our 88 for example.

If you guys have any interesting ideas for ranges then go ahead and post them or analyze them yourself (let's all, myself included, try to keep analyses to one post if possible since I can see it getting messy. Soooo much going on here we gotta keep it organized....).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 226
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://www.stoxpoker.com/Bryce/StoxCombo.zip

Stox has now released it as freeware as it's no longer in beta.

My coach has also put me on the slightly better, and also free while it's still in beta, pokerazor. I'll be making more threads with more pokerazor problems but ffs let's see some work done here guys. I want to see some shit! I won't be posting all my work for other lazy asses to use, so get goin guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.