Small pocket pairs

B

billatx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read an article http://www.darkenedpoker.com/blog/?p=212 saying that small pocket pairs are not good enough to set mine with 100 BBs.

Can i have some advise on which range,set mining with 100 BBs becomes +EV?

Also ,is there any point at which the number of opponents in the pot or the efficient stacks makes set mining with 22 +EV?

E

eazy489

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
billatx,

The answer depends on multiple factors. These factors include: what type of ring game you are playing, the preflop raiser's statistics, and your position.

In a standard 6 max game with a lot of regulars, I think the best option with small PP's when facing a raise out of position is to 3 bet, for a few reasons. First, these hands play very poorly OOP and most of the time you just flat the raise you will either be folding the flop or having to make very tough decisions on later streets which could cost u lots of $$. And second, the raising range of a standard regular in today's 6 max and full ring games are fairly wide, and they won't be able to call your 3bet without a good hand. I find that my 3b's with small PPs usually just take the pot right then and there.

That being said, set mining can be extremely profitable. I like to set mine with a greater frequency when there are already multiple people involved in the pot (a raise and a call or two ahead of me). I will still set mine OOP sometimes even against just a single raiser..I'm not 3 betting these hands with 100% frequency. Knowing the percentage of hands your opponents are raising from each position will help you determine what you should do. If my opponent is in the cutoff or on the button and is raising something like 75% from these positions, it becomes an easy 3 bet for us with a small PP. Keep in mind that you will need to make good decisions and c bet a lot of boards with one over when he defends your 3 bet.

Most of this info holds true in full ring games as well. Use position and opponent statistics to help you make good decisions preflop. Just flatting small PP's OOP every time is definitely -EV.

A

armyguy318

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
small pockets

Dude if it were me I would limp in with most giving the position but some times get alittle loose with them.. switch it up alittle bit bro.. And if your on merge you will probably hit lol... I mean that in the up most respect of course :)

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Small PPs can be very profitable especially if they hit trips, but obviously many many other factors are usually involved (player types; betting, raising, re-raising sizes; community cards on flop, turn and river).

These other factors are more key rather than the fact of simply having a small pp.

On the flip side, small pps pre-flop can be very costly as a draw too! I suggest playing them pre-flop with a 3bb bet and even a 3 bb continuation bet if you feel you are still ahead after the flop.

Demonomania

Demonomania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Small PPs can be very profitable especially if they hit trips, but obviously many many other factors are usually involved (player types; betting, raising, re-raising sizes; community cards on flop, turn and river).

These other factors are more key rather than the fact of simply having a small pp.

On the flip side, small pps pre-flop can be very costly as a draw too! I suggest playing them pre-flop with a 3bb bet and even a 3 bb continuation bet if you feel you are still ahead after the flop.

+1

I'd pretty much offer the same advice (minus the blue text)

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My rule of thumb for set mining is if my implied odds are = or >12:1, I set mine. If I have 2 or more players in the pot, I set mine >8:1 implied odds, because I am more likely to be paid when I hit. Position is also helpful because I can steal some pots post flop and add to my win rate.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read somewhere......
if you have implied odds of 15:1 ,
then it is ok to set mine.