PL Omaha hi lo ring game strategy discussion

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all.

I`ve started playing a lot of Omaha hi lo pot limit.

I have noticed that some of the more successful players seem to play most holdings from any position - obviously against the normal poker strategy.

Could it be a good way to play this game?? Hoping you catch a monster?

I have also found that a lot of these ppl seem to be happy calling any bet when they hold 2 pair.

Any thoughts would be helpful ;)

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you notice that when they call any bet with two pair they usually have the nut low draw? Which gives them chance to scoop if th ehit low.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you notice that when they call any bet with two pair they usually have the nut low draw? Which gives them chance to scoop if th ehit low.

I wish I did and that would explain a lot!!!

It might just have been a few bad days, but the key thing seem to be to play almost any opening pot from anywhere. I don`t know, if because there is no real `monster` hand preflop in Omaha hi lo, almost any holding is worth playing, with the ability to fold post flop being the thing.

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against bad players you can profitably play that way, against good players position and hand selection are more important than in other games.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against bad players you can profitably play that way, against good players position and hand selection are more important than in other games.

This is the opposite from the way you would play?

Normally ppl say you should tighten up against poor players.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

10c/25c is donk infested. Good point. Ram jam the Donks and avoid sharks.

because there is no real `monster` hand preflop in Omaha hi lo, almost any holding is worth playing, with the ability to fold post flop being the thing.

IMO all most all your money is made on the flop and turn not preflop. Although raising good starting hands preflop is a must to add value but once the flop hits if you only draw to the nuts you cant go wrong. But heres where the great players make the "big" money, they almost always have a decent high and low hand/draws which they will often scoop pots or get 3/4 of the pot.

Another Concept to remember is that usually there is only going to be one player with the nut flush/Full house so drawing to these type of high hands is actually worth more than drawing to hands that have a greater chance of splitting the high end of the pot in a multiway hand.

When holding the nut low in a multiway pot is often better to just call down unless you come up against a single opponent, as playing a single opponent when you can at best win half the pot is at best break even if we dont take into acount the rake.

In summary play to scoop the pot and try and play starting hands that will let you do this. hands like AA23 double suited is primo but any A2XX where the Ace is suited is good also A277 or other pairs are good as you can flop a set and low with chance to fill up.

If you really want to learn the game i suggest playing short handed or HU as it really isnt worth playing the hand unles you have decent chance to scoop in SH and HU games. Once you beat thos simply take it to FR and watch as 8 other players instead of 1 or 2 give you ther chips :D

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short handed is more difficult than full ring. Play full ring and practice patience and drawing to the nuts. Otherwise you're going to lose a lot of money.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Normally ppl say you should tighten up against poor players.

In holdem preflop this would be correct. In O8 you can call a wider range preflop as the flop offers alot more possibilities and it is Post flop that you need to tighten up, not preflop. Once the flop hits draw to the nuts!

An exception is if your up against a guy who shoves TPTK lol but in general read above.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short handed is more difficult than full ring.

I disagree!!

IMO short handed means less hands to beat you and less players to exploit mistakes that you make while learning. But you are going to loose money at first so start of small.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree!!

IMO short handed means less hands to beat you and less players to exploit mistakes that you make while learning. But you are going to loose money at first so start of small.

I wouldnt disagree with skold, he is the hi/low kings of cc :D

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt disagree with skold, he is the hi/low kings of cc :D

hmm it seems im a fool then??:D

it is really just my opinion and I have only written on what i have learnt/tought myself from play as i have never read a pice of O8 litrature and used to carve $25PLO8 SH games on stars. I didnt have PT at the time but it was $400 profit over 5k-10k hands. Im all ears to new ideas/concepts(even if they are old ideas/concepts to most) and just want to improve my game here on cardschat:D

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What I mean is that there is less creativity and criticial thinking in full ring omaha hi low. Short handed requires a much better feel for what quality of hand is needed to win half or scoop. You can obtain this experience by playing full ring and gradually when there are fewer players at the table you'll see the differences. I may not be explaining this clearly but for me at least, I lost a lot of money playing short handed initially and then it became more profitable only after I had played a lot of full ring and 7-8 man.

You have to get used to drawing to very high quality nut or near nut hands. This is much different from Hold 'Em.

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im starting to get you Skodpadda. I think what you are sayin is:

Learning to play tight and nut peddling at full Ring is where you should start because 1) Less Varience, 2)requires less thinking and hand reading skills. So basically learn to play by the numbers then progress onto shorter handed play as you become acustomed to the ins and out of O8.

Is this coreect?

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. I'm sure there are many more naturally skilled players out there, but for others like myself, that approach worked.

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in short handed, if you know your opponents, you don't necessarily have to draw to the nuts, because people don't have the nuts as often as they do in a full ring. You just need to know that if you don't have the nuts than don't be set in your mind that you gotta raise because you have a king high flush. Shorthanded get used to calling down without the nuts. Now that doesn't mean call down everytime, that means when you think your king high flush is good but your not sure you call down you don't raise. Once you start understanding your opponents you'll be able to know when to raise them with a king or queen high flush.

One things for damn sure, you better know what your doing/be confident in your skills when your doing this

Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One things for damn sure, you better know what your doing/be confident in your skills when your doing this

the people who dont know this are the ones that you will be taking chips off :D

killerrat

killerrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to watch the lows bet there arses off. I like to play for the high in these games for alot of times the lows don't come and the betters are out. Patience will get you the biggest net.

Top 10 Games