Non premium Pocket pair (22-1010)

T

tacochip2600

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like these hands are my biggest leak. I feel you never really know where your at. For instance I was playing a very loose opener with 1010, he 3 bet as he does around 30 3 bet on the hud. I push he pushes with KK. What are the ways you have sucessfuly played these hands. Do you just set mine or fold 22-1010 with any aggression pressed on you? I know it all depends on the flop. But I lost 88 to qq on a 2244 board Thinking an ace high would call me.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like these hands are my biggest leak. I feel you never really know where your at. For instance I was playing a very loose opener with 1010, he 3 bet as he does around 30 3 bet on the hud. I push he pushes with KK. What are the ways you have sucessfuly played these hands. Do you just set mine or fold 22-1010 with any aggression pressed on you? I know it all depends on the flop. But I lost 88 to qq on a 2244 board Thinking an ace high would call me.

Well first of all I am NEVER 4 bet shoving TT in a cash game unless I'm playing against a complete loose drooling call station.

TT is a flip even against JQ as you know.

Honestly depending on how tight/loose the table is I would 3 bet TT & JJ to isolate the speculative hands. 22-99 should be your set mining hands if you and your opponent both have 100 BBs + .

Last night I made about 200+ BB in one hand with a set of 2s because two aggressive donks thought that AA & KQ (LOL at KQ shoving) was the nuts.

So 22-99 IMO are kind of easy to play IMO. If you're playing tight you can just fold the low pocket pairs from early position. However if you're playing late position you can raise or call a raise if you are both playing deep stack. If you hit trips/set with your pocket pair you're most likely ahead! If you flop quads do a dance and try to get maximum value from your monster.

If you don't flop anything you should be able to easily get away from your hand if the pot gets too big for your liking. You can also float with your pocket pair in position. Say for example someone has AK early position and C-bets on a dry/blank board you can call or raise with your position and if they only call (fold is better :D ) you can fire a 2nd barrel on the turn if it's another low card and they check it to you.

JJ, QQ, KK can be a bit tricky when Queens, Kings, and Aces hit the flop respectively. It's always fun when someone calls your KK raise with A4 rag and stations your bets all the way to the river. Just use pot control when you play pocket pairs.

Remember the stronger your hand the bigger the pot you should be playing. Try to get it all in by the river if you have quads obviously.

Last edited:
H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I think you will know where you at by assessing the past action and the given current action.

If your uncomfortable playing those pairs, maybe you can play them on the fold or call spectrum until you feel contented with them.

BoiseStateKid

BoiseStateKid

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to confess these situations are very difficult for me as well, but ultimately I agree with hffjd2000. The reason for this is poker is a game based on situations, and decisions should be made based on current table conditions.

From personal experience, I have been able to play low to medium pairs correctly, And have also lost my fair share of pots with them. There is definitely a learning curve!