A Nit's Apology (why tight is right for me)

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm what many would call a "nit." I play 200NL 6-max, and I have a VPIP of 19%, and a PFR of 16%. I'm here, the nits' Socrates if you will, to explain why. I've been meaning to make this post for quite some time now, but other things have come in the way of making it happen. What's been gnawing at me is the fact that most good players at the sites I play (party poker and poker stars) are looser and more aggressive preflop than I am. Although it's certainly true that there's one more than one way to win at poker, surely they must have a reason to be looser and more aggressive than me - or conversely, I must have a reason to be tighter than they are, and that reason must be Profit. So I've been thinking, and analyzing, and running filters in Hold'em Manager, and reasoned and thought some more. And while I think opening up my game and adding more hands to my ranges could be profitable, there are a couple of reasons why I think I should be very wary of doing that, and I list them below, in reverse order of importance.

I'll end the post with a comparison of my own stats to that of a slightly more loose and aggressive (and frankly quite typical) solid winning player at these stakes and see how we match up. I made this comparison after I started writing the post and while I'm not surprised at the outcome I'm a little bit surprised at how pronounciated it was.

Rake.
This hopefully shouldn't require a lot of explaining on my part, but I'll say it anyway: The more hands you play, the more rake you will pay. This is not a hugely significant contribution, but rake plays a major role at small stakes games and will eat a large part of your win-rate. If I add more hands to my range, it's not enough that they are theoretically profitable versus my opponents, they need to theoretically profitable versus my opponents after rake has been taken out.

Multitabling.
The difference between myself and someone playing, say, a 23/19 style is 4 meager percentage points in our starting hand ranges. The difference in ratio, however, means that I'd need to play 20% more hands across all tables to achieve the same numbers. Playing more hands means spending more time on each table, and the way I figure, I'd rather play 20% more tables with my very profitable range, rather than add 20% at the bottom of it (which, presumably, isn't a hugely profitable part of my range). If I was a computer instead of a person with a limited attention span, I'd add all the 0EV hands I could find to my range, because the more hands I play, the wilder I will be perceived and the more I will be paid off on my big hands. If I knew that I can play 86s on the button versus a certain opponent's range and be exactly break-even for that hand in the long run, then it would almost certainly increase the profit of all my really big hands in the process.

But I'm not a computer. My choice isn't between adding 86s on the button or not adding it, it's between adding 86s (and similar hands and situations) or playing an extra table. My win-rate, lifetime, at 200NL is just above 4bb/100 and in order to opt out of adding another table of 4bb/100, adding medium strength hands on this particular table has to increase the value of my premium hands by that much. I don't think it does. It can certainly be argued - successfully, probably - that with a style as tight as mine, I'm not just dismissing 0EV hands, but am in fact folding solid winners preflop. Maybe. I'll return to that point further down.

Opponents overadjusting/not adjusting well.
Do you play differently versus a 20/18 compared to a 21/19? Probably not. How about a 22/20? 25/21? You probably (or you should) adjust a little when you see someone with a 25+% VPIP, but in general, humans are classifying creatures. We look at someone, and we categorize them into something that we're familiar with. For the computer programmers who happen to be reading this, there's significant data to suggest that the brain is object oriented. When a new object is introduced to us, we tend to start with thinking about some very generic object of roughly the same type. If I tell you that "a man was walking down the street" you will create an image of a non-descript man in your head, if I then tell you that he has a moustache, you will add that information to your object and probably add some other features of generic moustache-decorated men while you're at it (maybe slightly overweight, maybe taller than average, maybe older than you first had imagined, etc.)

My point in all this is that when I raise, my opponent has to look at my stats and make some kind of decision as to how he wants to react to it. I have reasons to believe that he will classify me as either

a) "a reg", or
b) "a nit".

Some really good players probably adjust a little in between as well, maybe thinking of me as a "tight reg" or so. Very few regs will say to themselves "19% of hands means the following range: 22+, 76s+, ..." because they will have some idea of ranges internalized and simply default to the standard. But I'm not as loose as the majority of regs. Meanwhile, I'm definitely not as tight as the real nits (the 15/12 type players). In the worst possible scenario, my opponent pegs me just right, but in the best possible case he adjusts to a majority that I don't quite conform to. For that reason, it pays to not be just like the majority. The same argument can be made for playing 25/22, for instance, since you're now out of the majority again (this time above it) and people are more likely to make incorrect assumptions about your range.

Now we return to the question left unanswered in the last point, namely the fact that I may be folding winners. Maybe a lot of winners. Maybe I can play profitably up to 27/24, in which case I'd reap not just the rewards from the individual hands I play but also the added bonus of having people not being able to correctly visualize my range.

I may not be good enough.
Playing a LAG style requires a lot of skill and attention. In fact, it requires so much of it that I have good reasons to believe that the vast majority of LAG regs playing small stakes would profit greatly from tightening up. Never mind the fact that they could probably add a few more tables to play and increase their hourly by even more. Case in point:

Of the 20 biggest winners in my database (sorting on people with 50k or bigger hand samples, six players at the table, 200NL) only 4 had VPIPs higher than 21.0%. The highest was 23.3%.

What makes the LAG-style more difficult to play is that it forces you into the tricky situations much more often than a tighter style does. The 50-or-so extra combos of hands that the laggier players have that I don't are the ones that end up with second pair, no kicker on the flop. Or only an ace overcard. They find themselves in the awkward spots much more often than I do. This is fine, of course, if they play those spots well; an expert player can certainly profit there, but the nature of the situations - by definition - is that they're difficult to play and therefore they will be played incorrectly more often. Adding those extra 50 hands means more difficult situations overall.

... which brings me to the last thing I wanted to point at, which is to analyze what exactly separates me from a successful looser player. I chose to look at a skilled (and highly successful - higher win-rate than me, at least) regular on whom I have a large sample of hands and compare my style to his, and outline the (preflop) differences.

Stats are his / mine:

VPIP: 22.1 / 19.3
PFR: 20.1 / 15.6
3-bet: 7.3 / 6.3
Steal on button: 54 / 49
Fold to steal (sb): 84 / 88
Fold to steal (bb): 83 / 75

PFR by position:

Early: 14 / 13
Middle: 20 / 16
Cutoff: 39 / 23
Button: 54 / 49

Red marks the spots where this player is looser than I am. Curiously, there's one exception: He folds way more often in the big blind than I do, and it's a significant enough difference that I think I'll do some more work to find out if it's a leak of mine or of his.

The other only really significant difference is in how often he opens in the cutoff compared to me. He opens almost twice as many hands as I do, and that's where the lion's share of his larger VPIP comes from. So I look a little closer at how he does profit-wise when he opens in the cutoff compared to me, and found this: His profit in the cutoff is 6.7bb/100. My profit in the cutoff is 24bb/100. He's still making money in the CO which is good, but unless I've been running silly hot in specifically that position (I have no particular reason to believe that I have) it seems clear to me that this particular player would benefit greatly from not stealing close to 40% of the time that he's in that position.

(Note to self: His win-rate is significantly higher in the BB than mine is, so it's probably the case that I should fold the BB vs. a steal more often than I do)

In closing, there's a final argument for playing tighter that I'd like to mention. I didn't list it above because I've been focusing on reasons I should stay tight, rather than on reasons why I should tighten up, if you see the difference. And that argument is this: Tilt.

In my experience, the almost universal response to tilt among regulars is playing more loosely and more aggressively. Tilting regs start calling preflop with dominated hands, they 4bet bluff very light, and they make loose calldowns where they would normally have found folds had they had their heads on straight. When I tilt - and it does happen, albeit rarely - my starting range creeps upwards a few percentage points. I start to open stuff like 75s in the cutoff, I call 3bets more liberally both in and out of position, and I go to showdown more often. But opening 75s in the cutoff is something that a laggier player already does. So while I feel all wild and crazy, they were already doing that prior to tilting. They're now opening stuff like 86o in the cutoff instead, which is - obviously - much worse. My tilting starting hands range includes mostly hands that were in theirs to begin with.

Secondly, when I start calling 3bets more liberally, I'm doing it with a stronger opening range to begin with. Again, my tilt doesn't cost me as much (although it does cost me) because my equity was better to begin with. And thirdly, and you'll already have seen this coming, since my equity is stronger from the get-go, making lighter calldowns isn't quite as expensive as it is when you play looser. In short, tilting is quite probably a much less expensive affair for a nit than it is for a LAG player.

Anyway, that concludes my Nit's Apology.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very nice post FP. Solid analysis and I especially like the part about when you're tilting as compared to a looser player.

From the ToC of Ed Miller's new ebook specifically on 200nl 6-max poker:

Part 3: 7 Easy Steps To No-Limit Success
  • Step 1: Play Tight

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your 'apology' draws my 'appreciation' of being well thought out and well written. Kudos !!!

I don't multi-table cash games, but reading this several times, the basics and principles seem to apply to us single tablers as well. (disregarding of course the comparison to opening looser v more tables)

by: a very similar 'nit' ... ;)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nicely written FP and some very good stuff to think over!!!

KICKIN_ACES

KICKIN_ACES

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nicely written post FP.

Thank you once again for another insightful post that always give me things to ponder & how they relate to my own "nitty" game.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article - more power to us nits!

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing to see here... carry on...

SPCotter

SPCotter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice piece, I'm am nit, in SnGs, and MTTs, but I consider myself a LAG 6 max player, my preference, although I mainly do 25NL and the odd venture here and there into 50NL in happy hour, peak time etc.

Great read, I guess as a standard nit opening my range here, I guess if I was to do it at your level (my VPIP is nearly always around 25%), I'd get found out, and at 25NL people don't tend to adjust their games as much, and play whats in front of them, allowing me to theive from right under their noses.

And make no apologies! :D

ace2daface

ace2daface

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
god, i hate (but admire) post from you, chuck, feitr,c9,zachvac, belgo etc . they are so well thought out and logical that i feel inept at teh pokery. even when it an apology!

i like reading your posts/blog and watching the videos. pls continue writing ur putting thoughts in posts:)

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reading FP's post is massively +EV, imo. Especially the part about tilt when you're in the middle of a tilting downswing...

:adore:

B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, im so glad belgo posted about this in the june chat thread or else I would have missed it. This article basically sums me up as well. I generally play really good when Im playing ~20/18, but once I get up into the 24/21ish range i start spewing like a monkey.

Verrrrryyy good read FP. You're posts are always extremely good, keep em coming.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just re-reading this as it happens and I find the section 'I may not be good enough' interesting. I know it's a unrelated topic, but what affect psychologically does it have to say 'I may not be good enough to play this style', or even 'I may not be good enough to play this limit'. Doesn't it take a substantial amount of discipline and don't you take something of a hit mentally to reach this sort of conclusion?

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just re-reading this as it happens and I find the section 'I may not be good enough' interesting. I know it's a unrelated topic, but what affect psychologically does it have to say 'I may not be good enough to play this style', or even 'I may not be good enough to play this limit'. Doesn't it take a substantial amount of discipline and don't you take something of a hit mentally to reach this sort of conclusion?

Only if it was a new revelation. I realized a long time ago that, in principle, the awesomest player in the world could play any two cards against a really poor player. Since the best player rarely sits with the worst player, his card selection will fall somewhere lower than "all cards." The better his opponents, the more selective he needs to be. But basically, if your skill-gap between you and your opponents is bigger, you can play more hands. If my skill-gap ever grows to the point where I can profitably play, say, KTo on the button versus a raise, then it's probably time for me to move up rather than loosen up.

I mean, I think I could profitably play 25/22 or even wilder at 25NL or 50NL. And I'm sure there are players good enough to play those styles at 200NL as well. I'm just not sure why they're still playing 200NL. :)

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if it was a new revelation. I realized a long time ago that, in principle, the awesomest player in the world could play any two cards against a really poor player. Since the best player rarely sits with the worst player, his card selection will fall somewhere lower than "all cards." The better his opponents, the more selective he needs to be. But basically, if your skill-gap between you and your opponents is bigger, you can play more hands. If my skill-gap ever grows to the point where I can profitably play, say, KTo on the button versus a raise, then it's probably time for me to move up rather than loosen up.

I mean, I think I could profitably play 25/22 or even wilder at 25NL or 50NL. And I'm sure there are players good enough to play those styles at 200NL as well. I'm just not sure why they're still playing 200NL. :)

That's interesting, thanks FP :)

TPC

TPC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nicely written post FP.

Thank you once again for another insightful post that always give me things to ponder & how they relate to my own "nitty" game.

Aces, I think you made FP write this on your behalf:D

FP, great post!!! Makes me think a lot more about my own range. I've watched a couple of your videos too. I was surprised how low your VPIP was when you looked at the stats after the session, it seemed like you were playing hands all the time... lol, but I guess it's due to all the tables as well. When are you going to make another video??? If you haven't seen one of FP's videos I suggest downloading them now. Well thought out and presented much like this post. Nice work FP!!!

Last edited:
Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I must say FP, your post has given me lot to think about.

Thanks for taking the time to write this for all the CC'ers

:cool:

MrFold

MrFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apology accepted - from another Nit. A very insightful post. More please.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those of you who are relatively new here might want to look at threads created by FP - they are all golden.