Newbie wants to play NL micro

S

SenseiCRO

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

I'm absolute newbie and I want to play micro NL holdem 1c/2c full ring.
I would like to learn but I don't want to look videos, I prefer books.
Which book would you recommend for a player like myself?

Thanks in advance

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am from Croatia, you can contact me on PM.

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I was you, I wouldn't play in a full ring game, because you're a new player. Try six player Max.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a new player should be playing full ring game. 6 max is a more agreessive game

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blackrains book, I havn't actually read it or anything but I always hear it come up on here being really useful.

A

ablack_la

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
"Winning Low Limit Hold Em" by Lee Jones. It's a limit book but it's a great fundamental starter. Eventually you will get Sklansky books like "theory of poker" and "no limit hold em theory and practice" when you learn all the basics.

Also stick to full ring, and the lowest stakes. No Limit Hold Em is a brutal game. Get used to dealing with the suckouts there.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree, I would also recommend Low limit holdem by Lee Jones. Its the right

book I can think of for starters.

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
theory of poker David Sklansky is good for anyone to read, and covers other poker games including no-limit. It teaches you about board texture which is an important thing to learn to read as well semi-bluffing.

N

Numoran

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington on holdem is an amazing book. Check it out!

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dynamic Full Ring Poker is the best I have found on micro NLHE. It gives a great foundation for SOLID play.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Crushing the Microstakes" by Blackrain79
Add .com to the above and you're there.

wmdgrind

wmdgrind

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Super System 2 and Caro's Book of tells are my two favs; as well as two of the most widely accepted lit pieces on our game. Not the best for the extreme newb but definitely put them on your "soon" list.

Like someone else said; stick to a full ring to start... And make folding your friend. At low limits, simply put, there are bad players. They're not paying enough attention to the fact you've folded 40 hands in a row. Just wait, grind and collect.

Avoid flipping. It can be discouraging for a new player to get their Aces cracked for their whole roll.

Lastly, baby your BR. Manage that well and you'll be better than most immediately. This is the area most ppl (even very good players) struggle with. Do that and you will make money.

G

GabrielRiley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think videos are more better for learning to play micro NL holdem 1c/2c. It shows some live examples too for understanding the strategies of the game, books are not always good to learn strategic games.
Watch some videos in Pokertube to learn this game.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Super System 2 and Caro's Book of Tells are my two favs; as well as two of the most widely accepted lit pieces on our game. Not the best for the extreme newb but definitely put them on your "soon" list.

Like someone else said; stick to a full ring to start... And make folding your friend. At low limits, simply put, there are bad players. They're not paying enough attention to the fact you've folded 40 hands in a row. Just wait, grind and collect.

Avoid flipping. It can be discouraging for a new player to get their Aces cracked for their whole roll.

Lastly, baby your BR. Manage that well and you'll be better than most immediately. This is the area most ppl (even very good players) struggle with. Do that and you will make money.

Oh dear God are they bad. Calling stations that don't care about pot odds they will chase their flush draw or straight at all costs. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't.

I have to do unorthodox raises sometimes just to get the limpers/calling stations from stop calling, but then a regular/SOLID player wakes up with a hand and now I'm spewing chips. Frustrating sometimes.

I honestly rather play with solid players than a mixture of solid/bad players.

lovemiscou

lovemiscou

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think videos are more better for learning to play micro NL holdem 1c/2c. It shows some live examples too for understanding the strategies of the game, books are not always good to learn strategic games.
Watch some videos in Pokertube to learn this game.

I agree with him, videos will show you live action situations. Drag the bar was a great help for me, Black Rain 79 his a coach there and his micro stakes experience is well taught.he plays hands and explains what his taughts are for making some decisions.

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh dear God are they bad. Calling stations that don't care about pot odds they will chase their flush draw or straight at all costs. Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't.

I have to do unorthodox raises sometimes just to get the limpers/calling stations from stop calling, but then a regular/SOLID player wakes up with a hand and now I'm spewing chips. Frustrating sometimes.

I honestly rather play with solid players than a mixture of solid/bad players.

You need to learn how to exploit bad players better :)

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think players make more mistakes at 6m rather than fr, just from my experience. Therefore I would go for 6m, just put in the effort to read/ watch training vids. Dont expect to be a regular winner for the first few months though.