LAG at micro stakes

Adubzz

Adubzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was playing 1cent/2cent NL Holdem last night and immediately identified a LAG at the table who was relatively deep stacked. LAG is actually an understandment this guy was a manic. He would reraise most of the preflop raises under 10 cents to 10 cents or higher, bet pot on most flops, reraised most post flop bets etc. He bluffed a guy for half his stack with air and showed it. I have been getting bullied by this guy for the past hour and I lost around 40 cents to him without a showdown.

After an hour I am pretty short stacked (35 BB). I pick up Ah8h in position and call the villains 5 cent preflop raise with position.

The board comes Ks3d8c

Villain bets pot as expected the pot now becomes roughly half my current stack.

I decide to reraise shove all in with the second highest pair on the board.
My thought process being that I am going to go all the way to showdown with this hand. I think there is a slight chance he will fold with worse which wins me the pot right there and then and a huge chance he will call me with worse which is also A okay in my book.

Villain showsdown Kx5y

Is my thought process ok here? I am a new player and would love a second opinion on this. Even if your opinions are brutally honest, let em rip, Im here to learn.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No. His aggressive play caused you to make a mistake. You need to tighten up, especially if you are out of position. Mix up calling down and check raising good hands when you are out of position. In position you can consider playing a few speculative hands, but make sure you are playing at least 3 ways and that you are getting good implied odds. See how he reacts to a 3bet (light, with good blockers). If he folds, pound him a couple more times, then stop 3betting light: wait for a BIG hand. If you get it; go ahead and raise. There is a good chance he will spazz and get it in vs you very light. Obviously if he calls or raises 3-bets light you want a good hand.

T

trixie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's easy to get a little frustrated at LAGS man. Especially in short handed cash games. My strategy with LAGs like this are to play premium hands when I'm ready for showdown, but look like a fish until then. Call-check-fold with middle pair on the board. LAG villain will win the little pots, but he'll hang himself when you draw a premium hand.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LAGs can be a nightmare to play against if they are good winning players. My only advice is to tighten up and get a good read on how they play their hands.

Also pot control... pot control, pot control! The stronger your hand the bigger the pot should be. Don't overvalue top pair top kicker too much if the pot is getting to the point where you're playing for 100BB + stacks unless the LAG is known to shove frequently with air.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have just played one of them in AC. The guy had 33/30 vpip/pfr, cont bet almoust all the time, steal like a maniac... And he had 5x buy-in when he left the table. Some the players went all in with second par against him, but that time he had a better hand...I think the best strategy against him is to wait for a good hand and let him betting... If he's too annoying, search an other table. :)

Adubzz

Adubzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice everyone! Ive since learned to really tighten up in micro stakes.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The golden rule is, "When the table is tight, play loose and when the table is loose, play tight."

Limp often with your top 10% of hands counting on the LAG to drive the action. Slow play your monsters and don't play shorts stacked. If you can't do this, don't play.

E

eichroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion that is the whole method behind playing LAGgy and purposely giving the image of a crazy player . His exact play. It's all about post flop value and deception. :)