Identifying Sets

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is your method or playing style to help minimize the traps :)

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When villains x/r the flop it's often a set. A lot of players here on the forum would say that's how they play them

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you hold top pair (blocker) and you're getting raised on a dry flop.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm getting check-raised on dry flops, it might indicate a set, but if I'm holding TPTK and have position on him, I'm rarely folding to his raise. I want to see what he does on the turn and base my further decisions on that.

S

SaadOmizer

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the Villain really I think, if its a Nit and he C/R the flop then im folding, if its a somewhat regular TAG thery could be making a play on a low board so I would probably call the flop with TPTK and re-evaluate on the turn.

If its a maniac and I get C/R then I will 4bet SHOVE TPTK more often that not.

At my limits - 2NL that is.

Fknife

Fknife

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imho folding immediately to a flop raise is not an "optimal" play because with cbetting being more and more standard/known many players like to raise flop bets on dry, high boards (especially if somebody is cbetting too much) and wet boards (with draws, gutshots). So I'm more concerned about turn/river raises than flop ones. Thats the first thing. The next thing is that there is a stat called Cold Call 2Bet PF (in PT4) and with enough hands you can quite accurately (using additionally other PF positional stats) create opponent's calling range. Finally it all, of course, comes down to an opponent. Sniffing sets from TAGs/NITs is quite easy (additional stats such as AFq by street, W$SD etc), with looser opponents its a bit harder, the passive ones may never raise on any street with a set etc.

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SNIP<<<< the passive ones may never raise on any street with a set etc.

I get caught by this a lot in $2 FR. Calling station flops a set, I'm betting heavy with TPTK or 2 pair and he wins on a dry board. At least twice I've had a calling station flop a set, I made a straight or a flush on Turn or River with that card pairing the board, I lose a big pot

Fknife

Fknife

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get caught by this a lot in $2 FR. Calling station flops a set, I'm betting heavy with TPTK or 2 pair and he wins on a dry board. At least twice I've had a calling station flop a set, I made a straight or a flush on Turn or River with that card pairing the board, I lose a big pot

Yeah, this happens, nothing you can do about it HUD stats wise I guess, except taking a note on this player after and maybe taking some pot-control lines against him in the future when you suspect he hit a set.

On the other hand its not really only with calling-stations. There are some TAGish players, who will also only call you down, when they see that with your bet sizing and TPTK commitment, you will be already all-in on the river.

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, this happens, nothing you can do about it HUD stats wise I guess, except taking a note on this player after and maybe taking some pot-control lines against him in the future when you suspect he hit a set.

On the other hand its not really only with calling-stations. There are some TAGish players, who will also only call you down, when they see that with your bet sizing and TPTK commitment, you will be already all-in on the river.

If I suspect ANYONE hit a set, I back off. But how can you suspect it? when someone is 75/20 with over 100 hands played. I just leave the table now if I see someone like that.

It's the donks & Fish, the Morons and Idiots that drive me insane, shoving or calling AI and hitting gut-shots

T

thebigslade

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when someone is 75/20 with over 100 hands played. I just leave the table now if I see someone like that.

It's the donks & Fish, the Morons and Idiots that drive me insane, shoving or calling AI and hitting gut-shots

Is this a joke? You're essentially saying that if you see a fish at the table, you'll leave and find a less profitable spot to play in.

If you're being called AI a lot when you're up against a gut-shot draw, you're printing money.

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a joke? You're essentially saying that if you see a fish at the table, you'll leave and find a less profitable spot to play in.

If you're being called AI a lot when you're up against a gut-shot draw, you're printing money.

No, I'm not joking. While I believe in $2 NL FR to learn the all aspects of the game, strategy related and otherwise, I despise it and the donks and fish that frequent the game. Let's say my luck is ratshit.

Check out my Journal thread, plenty of examples.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know exactly how you feel Searun sometimes no matter what garbage they play with ... AK vs A3 raise,reraise etc etc... bang flop comes 3 3 K haha

But once you past the bad times and don't make too many errors you'll see your green line going upwards as long as your making the right play.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imho folding immediately to a flop raise is not an "optimal" play because with cbetting being more and more standard/known many players like to raise flop bets on dry, high boards (especially if somebody is cbetting too much) and wet boards (with draws, gutshots). So I'm more concerned about turn/river raises than flop ones. Thats the first thing. The next thing is that there is a stat called Cold Call 2Bet PF (in PT4) and with enough hands you can quite accurately (using additionally other PF positional stats) create opponent's calling range. Finally it all, of course, comes down to an opponent. Sniffing sets from TAGs/NITs is quite easy (additional stats such as AFq by street, W$SD etc), with looser opponents its a bit harder, the passive ones may never raise on any street with a set etc.

I totally agree with not folding every raise to the flop.... I've noticed my medium pockets 88-JJ are still infront a lot of the time after a cbet. Was surprised how much value I was actually missing by just instant folding to a cbet :) and it also means 3betting pre was just burning money if I'm just giving up on any flop that I don't hit trips with.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What if the tag bets the exact same amount TPTK,draws,sets... I guess then it would be difficult.