Flush Draws

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I've realized that most of the money that I've lost is lost chasing flush draws.......most times i'll have like an Ace suited and the flop comes with 2 cards of that suite and the other to complete the flush seldom comes......like how do I get away from these hands? Is percentage for hitting a flush on draw low? or am I just running bad??? how do you guys play flush draws??? ......due to my limited bankroll I mostly play fixed limit games ($.50/1 mostly).....

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As far as I've learnt. Chasing flushes depends on how much it costs relative to the size of the pot. IF the probability of catching what you want is higher than the ratio of your call to the total pot (whats in the middle, plus their bet) then it is a profitable call. Someone may correct me on this and I'm in no position to teach as I make the same mistakes too.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds, don't play suited aces unless you are in position and willing to play them aggressively to where your opponent can fold or you can hit your flush. Also find spots to bluff your missed draws on the river, do this with caution though.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are purely chasing then the odds are approx 4/1 to hit your flush. You can take lower pot odds/implied odds if you think your opponent will pay you off when you hit.

Otherwise you can semibluff especially with an over card.

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your opponent cannot be bluffed out, your flush draw is as good as junk.

H

henry21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a flush draw on the flop, the chances that you will come the fifth into the color is approx 35%. Maybe try to play no limit on already lower limit. In no limit you have more chance that opponent discards in the first or second bet, because you can bet more than the fixed limit games.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You calculate your pot odds to get the raw picture if you should call or not and consider some implied odds. As any other draw, it's best to play in position so you can get tricky and extract the most value.

If you think you can get fold equity, you can rep a strong made hand and play the draw aggro. Unless your opponent is fairly strong, you probably won't get calls often. When do you get called, you know exactly where you are and if you hit your flush you'll be getting far more value than you would by calling.

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you dont hit the flush on the flop you`d better play it low and dont go too deep. If you get cheap river and hit the flush it worths even if pot is not big.

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chasing flush is very unprofitable play rasie flush draws only when You have initiative and rasie it agianst constant vilian cbet ( when You have 4 cards in color at floop) never other way

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play flush draw a slow because in 70% i play flush dont came. that way make a bet on flush but in flush draw i just check or call but dont reraise or bet a big bet...

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flush draws need always difficult decisions, anyway it depends many factors on table, the most important for me is how many players are playing your hand.

A

adougy13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flip side of this how do I get you to fold a flush draw? I play a fair amount of 1/2 NL and I can count close to a dozen times where I go bust with AA, a set or, top 2 trying to push someone off of a flush draw. I have jammed 100+ into pots of 50-75 to try and get the flush draw to fold and it seems I only get called by flush draws and lose. I know most times I am the favorite but should I be play top 2 more slowly. In most cases my opponent has a similar stack to mine. Any suggestions? Keep playing aggressive or is it better to bet smaller folding once the flush card comes?

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the flip side of this how do I get you to fold a flush draw? I play a fair amount of 1/2 NL and I can count close to a dozen times where I go bust with AA, a set or, top 2 trying to push someone off of a flush draw. I have jammed 100+ into pots of 50-75 to try and get the flush draw to fold and it seems I only get called by flush draws and lose. I know most times I am the favorite but should I be play top 2 more slowly. In most cases my opponent has a similar stack to mine. Any suggestions? Keep playing aggressive or is it better to bet smaller folding once the flush card comes?

Keep charging them, the best street to do this is on the turn because no matter how big the draw they are going to be a big dog to win.

P

Pavelito51

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I've realized that most of the money that I've lost is lost chasing flush draws.......most times i'll have like an Ace suited and the flop comes with 2 cards of that suite and the other to complete the flush seldom comes......like how do I get away from these hands? Is percentage for hitting a flush on draw low? or am I just running bad??? how do you guys play flush draws??? ......due to my limited bankroll I mostly play fixed limit games ($.50/1 mostly).....
on limit holdem always chase flushes as you always gets odds :cool:

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have a flush draw on the flop, the chances that you will come the fifth into the color is approx 35%. Maybe try to play no limit on already lower limit. In no limit you have more chance that opponent discards in the first or second bet, because you can bet more than the fixed limit games.

Yes this is so true............I use to be a no limit player......the problem with fixed limit is that no one really ever folds....so maybe i'll go back to NL...

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chasing flush is very unprofitable play rasie flush draws only when You have initiative and rasie it agianst constant vilian cbet ( when You have 4 cards in color at floop) never other way

Agreed...point taken

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Certainly a good strategy. You will often get to see a free river card if your raise is called on the flop, can fold out cbets and can disguise your hand as top pair/ over pairs etc (villain will put you on a weaker hand than a flush at showdown).

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its okay to chase flush draw on the flop but you really should learn to fold a flush draw on the turn.

The only time I ever fold a flush draw on the flop is when someone over bets the pot and I am not willing to raise. You do not call massive raises with flush draws, you either go all in or fold. On the turn I would often fold a flush draw.

From my experience hitting your flush on the turn is more well disguised than the river so that's also a factor in me not wanting to chase after the turn as the pay off is lower in that case.

Another important thing to remember is that you should not chase flush on a paired board.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flushes are overrated. If you play a winning weak tight strategy you'll quickly realize only 1/7 of the hands you play are suited.

Thing about the flush is that it can be so blindingly obvious even to the worse fishes.

To me flush draw is just an added value backup equity to be considered when you have a close spot. Chasing flush draws is pretty meh majority of the time

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
instead of always chasing you need to mix in a few raises/semi bluffs

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to chase a flush, try to make sure you have a pair with a four flush, or straight draw with a flush, something like that. But your opponent still has to give you pot odds to make the draw legitimate. There are times where I'm catching cards that I ignore this, but not very often.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On Saturday I had a hand where I had top pair with a flush draw, a straight draw and the turn gave me a draw to a full house..... Total brick on the river and lost my stack to an over pair lol

It happens.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
draw only when you're getting the correct pot odds or implied odds to do so profitably.

B

BlakeBrown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my experience, Limit players seem to fold much more than No Limit, no matter how low the stakes are

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Certainly a good strategy. You will often get to see a free river card if your raise is called on the flop, can fold out cbets and can disguise your hand as top pair/ over pairs etc (villain will put you on a weaker hand than a flush at showdown).

I disagree, flops with 2 suits on them that get raised are usually looked at as a semi bluff and it is not too often people raise flops with top pair. If I get raised on the flop with 2 suits I instantly think, overpair, set, 2 pair, or semibluff. If the turn or river puts a 3rd suit out there, I muck unless I have a set myself or an A blocker for the flush.

Full Flush Poker