First time reviewing a session using Flopzilla

GDBPoker

GDBPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm using Flopzilla for the first time and I'm going to post a hand analysis I'm doing to get peoples opinion on if I am doing it correctly. So here goes.

2NL 6max Zoom
Hero in BB with :as4: :kd4:
Folds to SB who limps
Hero raises 4x, SB calls

Flop :kc4: :10s4: :6s4:
SB checks, Hero bets 0.10, SB calls

Turn :ac4:
SB Checks, Hero bets 0.23, SB calls

River :6d4:
SB Checks, Hero bets 0.79, SB shoves 1.58

I only have 7 hands against this player so any stats I have are void, however he is 57/14, not playing with a full stack, and single tabling.

So even with my limited stats I am assuming he is a fish because of the preflop limp, and put his range on 40% of hands preflop. According to Flopzilla I have over 80% equity against his range on the flop and river, which means I did the right thing by betting both streets right? Or am I dominating too many times in this situation to keep getting called?

Even with the 6 pairing the board on the river I still have over 80% equity, so when he shoves I'm assuming he is shoving with good 2 pair or better, which drops my equity to 15%, so it should be an insta fold, correct? I was getting 3 to 1 to call, but if Villain didn't have as big a stack and say gave me 7 to 1 do I call every time?

Some main questions...
Should I be adjusting his ranges after he calls every street to hands I think he is calling with?
Is that hand range too high or low for a suspected fish who has limp/called?
And lastly is there any other things I have missed, or some areas I should focus on more?

Thanks to anyone who has had a read and replies with some advice, much appreciated

Fknife

Fknife

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So even with my limited stats I am assuming he is a fish because of the preflop limp, and put his range on 40% of hands preflop. According to Flopzilla I have over 80% equity against his range on the flop and river, which means I did the right thing by betting both streets right? Or am I dominating too many times in this situation to keep getting called?
The most basic and simplest approach is to look at villains range and try to visualize "what goes where" at each street (which is obviously much easier when you have some stats because you can directly translate them to actual ranges). You can set filters based on what you think he would continue OTF (raise, call) with. Then you look at his range OTT and repeat the whole process again. Some goes for the River card.

So for example: when you bet the flop, you can look at his range and ask yourself (Flopzilla): "what do I want to get value from?" - on KT6ds he would probably have lots of gutshots, straight draws (QJ comes to mind), flush draws (although you block all AsXs), Kx hands etc. If he eg: raises, then based on your experience/reads/stats you can try to figure out his raising range: if he likes to play draws aggressively, you can ask a question: "Is his preflop range draw heavy on that flop so that I can re-raise him for value there?" etc etc. Its hard to explain all those ideas/situations in a single post but hopefully you get the idea.

I was getting 3 to 1 to call, but if Villain didn't have as big a stack and say gave me 7 to 1 do I call every time?

Thats tricky. Again, you can use Flopzilla for this and eg: if you figure out that he reaches River with lots of busted draws and if he's capable of bluffing with them (or if his range is wide and he's capable of thin value betting etc) you could call him. But if he's never bluffing/betting worse, there is no point in calling despite getting good odds (some people like to justify their calls saying: "but I only have to be right 20% of time". question is: will you actually ever be good that amount of times).

Should I be adjusting his ranges after he calls every street to hands I think he is calling with?
Ofc thats the whole point of that kind of analysis (you can set filters for that in Flopzilla).
Is that hand range too high or low for a suspected fish who has limp/called?
You have to use your experience/population tendencies (what range does your average "SB limp/caller" at your limit have), if you dont have any stats/reads.
And lastly is there any other things I have missed, or some areas I should focus on more?
Well, you can do a lot of stuff in Flopzilla, if you have a desire and time to do that kind of work (its a grind). For example, you could set different villains' ranges on that KT6ds flop and use the Hotness feature to see how the turn/river card impacts equities (what is a "good"/"bad" turn card for his/your range, what is a good card to double barrel on etc, possibilities are endless) so that each time you find yourself in that spot, you will know how to play it "perfectly".

GDBPoker

GDBPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the reply Fknife.

So for example: when you bet the flop, you can look at his range and ask yourself (Flopzilla): "what do I want to get value from?" - on KT6ds he would probably have lots of gutshots, straight draws (QJ comes to mind), flush draws (although you block all AsXs), Kx hands etc. If he eg: raises, then based on your experience/reads/stats you can try to figure out his raising range: if he likes to play draws aggressively, you can ask a question: "Is his preflop range draw heavy on that flop so that I can re-raise him for value there?" etc etc. Its hard to explain all those ideas/situations in a single post but hopefully you get the idea.

Getting better value is one of the first things I hope to achieve by looking over my hands, equal first is figuring out how far I am actually behind on some loose calls, so I dont feel as bad about folding in the future.

I think I'll leave the Flopzilla grind for a later time, maybe when I move up a few levels, or do it for some regs that are owning me. Simple analysis will do for now.

How much do my value bet sizes change when versing a fish compared to a regular? Most of the vids I have been looking at have been aimed at targeting fish, and they say to bet around pot size for those players. Will a nit fold with a flush draw if he isnt getting the right odds for a call on the flop?

Fknife

Fknife

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much do my value bet sizes change when versing a fish compared to a regular? Most of the vids I have been looking at have been aimed at targeting fish, and they say to bet around pot size for those players. Will a nit fold with a flush draw if he isnt getting the right odds for a call on the flop?

Thats really hard to answer because both questions are sooo player dependent. Two key points that I always keep in mind:

1. If I'm betting for value, there have to be hands in villain's range that I can actually get value from (if nothing worse calls you're not value betting).
2. Big bets make villain's calling range narrow and strong (unless somebody is really fking inelastic, eg: some recreational players), while small bets keep his calling range wide and weak (ability to thin-value bet more effectively).

So hopefully both those points make sense, eg: if you pot bet on an A-high dry flop, you will probably only get called by sets and maybe sometimes TPTK hands (but thats really the bottom of that calling range). On the other hand a smaller bet (1/3, 1/2 pot) could probably get you at least one street of value from some middle pairs/PP/K-high hands which wouldnt call a big bet (yes, some better players could sometimes recognize those moments when you're actually thin-value betting and push you off a marginal hand).

Will a nit fold with a flush draw if he isnt getting the right odds for a call on the flop?

A "textbook nit" very rarely has a flush-draw because of his tight ranges - it gets even worse if the flop contains an Ace (or you have it :) ) because it blocks all of his AJs+ possible flush draws.

Last edited: