Did I play this correctly?

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure if I'm on a bit of a variance streak or what but the poker gods haven't been kind.

Villian bought in short stacked and I had taken little bites from them in previous hands. Villain had been playing pretty tight. I didn't think that trips was a good enough hand so I waited....

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

UTG ($1.95)
MP ($0.57)
CO ($2)
Button ($2.52)
Hero (SB) ($2.66)
BB ($0.80)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8
club.gif
, Q
club.gif

UTG calls $0.02, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.01, BB checks

Flop: ($0.06) 8
spade.gif
, 8
diamond.gif
, 9
club.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.06, UTG calls $0.06, Hero calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.24) 6
club.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.22, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.22

River: ($0.68) 3
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets $0.50 (All-In), Hero calls $0.50

Total pot: $1.68 | Rake: $0.06

Results below:
Hero had 8
club.gif
, Q
club.gif
(flush, Queen high).
BB had 9
diamond.gif
, 8
heart.gif
(full house, eights over nines).
Outcome: BB won $1.62

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold pre.

Trips on the flop. But a scarey fullhouse possibility. You need to learn to play these spots passive like you did but OOP your always going to find it difficult to make money. Good players would just fold with a bit of action because they know they are burning money in these spots.

Clubs hopeful... But often I need 2 reasons to fold headsup, paired board I can still push against a shortstacker and gamble, but with the 4club that should just tell you HALT! u've lost. But this is when reads come into play, shortstackers can be awful or very tight.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you played the hand wrong. I think you got uncluky, first Q8s is not that alwful so you are correct to see some flops with it when there is no action before you, then you hit trips on flop, which is impossible to fold, then you got even flush, with your money in the middle its the best you can do, you were unlucky that the villain had the nut full house at the flop so you cant regret how you played the hand. : )

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even though you didn't play this hand bad, but in lower limits these hands happen, nothing you can do, you got unlucky, having a queen high flush and some money in the middle in lowest limits are hard to fold.

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Serves you right for playing Q8 pre from the SB :)! The way he bets the turn and river should have sent alarm bells, hard to fold but not impossible. The river club meant you could have got away from it, what is villain shoving with on the river that you have beat? Is he really shoving with a J high flush? Remember to play simple at micros, don't think people are bluffing you. Because they will play hands like 58, and flop 467. Their ranges are so wide that they could have anything, keep it ABC. Good luck

Last edited:
chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My first day back, the same thing happened. Like the previous posts said, should not of called in the SB. But had you been called on a blind steal or limped to your BB and the same hand was dealy, it would of panned out exactly the same.

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Serves you right for playing Q8 pre from the SB :)! The way he bets the turn and river should have sent alarm bells, hard to fold but not impossible. The river club meant you could have got away from it, what is villain shoving with on the river that you have beat? Is he really shoving with a J high flush? Remember to play simple at micros, don't think people are bluffing you. Because they will play hands like 58, and flop 467. Their ranges are so wide that they could have anything, keep it ABC. Good luck

Hahaha Ya..... I was trying something new. Obviously THAT didnt work! I think I have hit a bit of a variance streak. I've just got to stick to strong strategy and wait for my streak to leave me the hell alone! :D

S

Sneaky Feet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone for the comments :)

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't play this hand bad, but in lower limits these hands happen, nothing you can do, you got unlucky.....

DaReKa

DaReKa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise pre. Q8s is fine to steal from the SB with. Not as good to limp with OOP in a 3-way pot though.

akaRobbo

akaRobbo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hahaha Ya..... I was trying something new. Obviously THAT didnt work! I think I have hit a bit of a variance streak. I've just got to stick to strong strategy and wait for my streak to leave me the hell alone! :D

Tell me about variance... today ive played for about 3 hours. 1st hour I was up 2 BI, now im down 4! Runner runner flush and just lost with quads vs straight flush! Bad day for me!