Checking your bankroll

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How often does everyone here check their account either at the start, during or end of a session.

I have a terrible habit of checking my bankroll all the time, win a pot, lose a pot, check roll... I just can't seem to shake it. If I ignore the urge to check the roll, then all I do without wanting to, is just deduct or add the pot to what I know my roll to be, therefore keeping a mental track of it without even checking. The more I don't check the more I start tilting, especially if I'm have a tough session.
I know this is a problem because whether I like it or not, it's a results oriented way of playing.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I monitor my sessions in HM while playing... helps me see if I am getting too passive or too aggro (steal%, cbet%, success of both).

Brodermatt

Brodermatt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often does everyone here check their account either at the start, during or end of a session.

I have a terrible habit of checking my bankroll all the time, win a pot, lose a pot, check roll... I just can't seem to shake it. If I ignore the urge to check the roll, then all I do without wanting to, is just deduct or add the pot to what I know my roll to be, therefore keeping a mental track of it without even checking. The more I don't check the more I start tilting, especially if I'm have a tough session.
I know this is a problem because whether I like it or not, it's a results oriented way of playing.

I have a bad habit of this too! It definitely plays with your mental side of the game. I find that multi-tabling distracts me from looking at the bankroll, always concentrating and on the move. So if you only just play 1 table, maybe play a few more. Or add 1 or 2 tables if you already are multi-tabling.

That's the only thing I can think of.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah I play 4 tables of Zoom, because my laptop can't handle anything more. I actually enjoy zoom as well. Not possible to add any more tables :/

TxScorpion

TxScorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to do the same thing whether I win or lose a pot. Luckily, my account balance isn't adjusted until my session is over.

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I constantly have an eye on my BR . I also put targets of winnings and losings per session. So even if my given session time is not over, I stop playing while reaching them.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You leave once you reach a certain profit? I can agree with a stop loss, but stopping playing while profiting I think is throwing away money.

SANDYHOOKER KY

SANDYHOOKER KY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know what my balance is at all times, and don't check it but once.But i don't multi table either. But if i were to play more than one table, i would still know what i set in with, and what the balance would be.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I check my bankroll only when considering withdraw.
bankroll is just MONEY CHIPS IN POKER ROOM.

But I do check about my play chip bankroll, time to time.
I really feel proud of hundreds of millions of playchips in my account. LOL

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While in a session constantly focus on the tables your in... DONT FLICK programs or you may miss really important information & really get destracted from your main goal... Making correct decisions. Remember mistakes cost you money!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ill try and limit the amount of times I check because I have noticed that I miss stuff.

L

loomis311

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For some reason, I also keep track of my bankroll during a session too. My HUD tells me how much I have lost or won for that session. I do not believe I change my play if I am winning or losing. If i am losing a lot, I will go through my losing hands on HUD and try to figure if i am having any leaks or being exploited.

As long as keeping track of your monies does not change your decision making then I do not see any harm in it.

K

kmichaels

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, if you are more concerned of your bankroll window than your table window you should immediately quit playing poker, believe me. To win in poker you can´t have any fear of lose you money. Just control your bankroll in the end of session to make a balance. But don´t play any pot looking every time to your bankroll. Play naturally.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know I should not check my bankroll so often, but I can't control myself! :)
It's bad habit and I know this mess with my games sometimes because I stay so focused on the money that I forget the rest. I need to change my mind because I think that my game would improve if I lose this habit.

L

lilturkgirl86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i notice myself doing the same thing infact i did it today, it just means to me im not ready for these stakes, and i want to get more comftable building a roll with the freerolls first.

burgdogky

burgdogky

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know your how large your BR is, but it sounds like to me your playing larger stakes than what you should. I used to have the same habit when I had a very small bankroll and losing one large pot would cripple me. Now, when i play any pot that I lose doesn't bother because I have a large enough bankroll to with stand a few buy in losses.

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the checking is in part due to the small roll I'm playing with. It's less than 100 atm I remember when the roll was larger I didn't check so much.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management