Any Razz poker players...

H

harmon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play Razz in HORSE tournaments. I'm still learning to play cash games of Razz poker...any advice?

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont bluff unless ur 4 up cards are better than ur opponents
dont slow play either
9 low is not a good hand
678 to start is a piss poor starting hand

R

rStormChaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should do a google search, you'll be amazed at how many strategy articles there are online.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

lvdreamer

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
read SS1 lowball section, only around ~7-8 pages on razz, touch on the basic. very well written.

H

harmon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I checked on Amazon...

Thanks.

Bought 2 books: Sklansky on Poker and another one called play Razz Poker to Win.

LEADintoGOLD

LEADintoGOLD

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very, VERY tight. When I catch I push hard.

Good luck

R

ritehere

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Razz

I personally haven't been playing razz for a great deal of time. But what time I have spent playing it, has been a blast. Though I don't have the experience to give advice on this game yet. I to would be open to advice as well.

B

bill_nj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good starting hand requirements are even more important then in other forms of poker but even more important then that are good up card requirements. If you're showing 3 4 5 and your opponent is showing 7 8 9 what your hole cards are is not as important. Conversly if you're showing 7 8 9 and your opponent is showing 3 4 5 even if your hole cards are A 2 you have a problem.

H

harmon

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks....

For the advice...the two books I'm reading also mention the importance of the starting hands. One of them had a system to decide when to play the first two cards. Actually, it works out pretty good...at least when I was playing at the $5/$10 game at Full Tilt. Had 2 nice wins:), and one time broke even (I had to leave that game early for family stuff--so who knows).

I'll play some more--oh, thanks for the advice on SS, but I didn't want to buy another book for like 7 pages on Razz, when the Play Razz book had over 100 pages.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, the Super System section on Razz is very small - it's actually just tacked onto the end of a much more detailed discussion of ace-to-five and deuce-to-seven draw. Some alright advice in there, but you wouldn't want to buy the book on the strength of that alone.

Starting hands are important, but what's more important is the relationship between your starting hand and the exposed cards in other people's hands. (27)5 might be playable against K-T-J-7-5-8-9 upcards, but it becomes harder to play against A-3-3-K-6-J-7 upcards.

I found these two articles recently, both were very interesting / helpful - hadn't played any Razz in about six months, but they inspired me to give it another crack:

Two Plus Two Internet Magazine , Vol. 4, No. 1
Two Plus Two Internet Magazine

Even the newbie's guide (the first article) has some useful stuff in it.

W

wargod

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i have played just a few free rolls of razz i usually will play them if a nl holdem or hi/low game is going on. i have had a great time playing razz in the back ground
gonna look into razz a little bit more its alot of fun

R

RIK_123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of Razz and Horse.
My strongest advice at present would be
Learn the game , read the books.
I also play very tight and push when i have the next nuts or nuts, always look around at the whole table and see what people are holding.

H

hoochith420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
razz is cash games r the best bluffing games becuase people fold on the last ard and their is a trick if u make $1 go abck to you minumuim keep doing it till u make alot of money

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you like HORSE tourneys and you need to practice just Razz in a tourney format, FULLTILT has a 9:40 EST Razz free roll. I know Donk fest, but the price is right.

B

BostonRobber

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Count the cards

The toughest part of Razz is figuring out when to successfully push early. You're only going to get so many good hands so it's important to back the best ones to get ahead and take down some nice pots. I weigh my hands based on position and outs relative to the remaining players. To be more accurate on the outs I try to keep track of the cards I've seen particularly those 7 and under.

P

potter39

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hui guys... i love playing razz poker. i wanna know where can i find good razz books

JMpointG

JMpointG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
razz is pretty tricky but very funny indeed, sry i m not good enough to give any piece of advice here

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important part of any drawing game is to control the betting. I never bet out unless I have the nuts (or think I have ), I will however check call check call in order not to get raised, makes your online stats look bad but who cares.