Status
Not open for further replies.
N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Table was short-handed just 3 players, and I figured if I was going to lose, well, heck, better to go out in a blaze of glory than with a whimper and sniff.

Was just about to pack it in, had finally broken + a bit when I look and see AA on my screen. Well the first player pushes, I push harder, 3rd player calls, it's back around, more pushing a round, and then finally the first player went All-In, well I was 1/2 terrified and 1/2 thrilled. I know there's no such thing as a sure thing, but AA is still, just so attractive...

So I'm not about to let him push me off of aces. I had them earlier and table folded to me. No-no-no, I've indicated strength, as has he. So I contemplate figure yeah, better to die fighting than just get bullied and treated like crap, plus there were a zillion other things going on in my head too. For instance, the "players" who push all-in with A+ anything or any old pair...

I called. Yeah, then the 3rd player folded and the board came up empty for both of us. I see his cards are QQ. He sees mine are AA. Then proceeds to cuss me out and call me a stupid **** for calling with AA.

I ran it through a calculator. AA vs QQ is about 82% to win is it not?

Would tell u how much I won but that would only go to show how incredibly frustrated/stupid I got along the way...

Here's my question: Was it really stupid of me to call? Was he just being a poor sport? Was it both?

Sorry, it's just, when I see I've been beaten by a better hand or coin-flip, I don't get angry. I'm actually relieved. There was no suckage. No "bad" cards, so what gives?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of game was this?

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if it was a satilite u didnt need to call {if it was on the bubble ofcourse}
push with it any other time

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, sorry, I always forget to put something in...

NL Hold 'Em ring game.

G

ginNjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dude, it's aces, I was laughing my ass off when you said you weren't going to let yourself get pushed off of the hand. ROFL!! YOU HAVE ACES, ALL IN, PREFLOP, IN A RING GAME, AGAINST ONE OPPONENT. You're not going to find a better situation to get all your money in preflop. You have him dead to two outs or making a straight(so rare). Play your aces. Play your aces. Play your aces.
And the guy was just being dumb, or making a joke when he decided to cuss you out. Just turn off all chat, makes the game so much more enjoyable when playing online. People tend to grow balls of steal when they don't have to look at the person they're talking to and say whatever they want behind the security of a computer screen.

LOL, folding aces.....I'm still laughing.

N.D.

N.D.

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh I know what it is. I never told what happened to me in a freeroll once. I haven't the foggiest what the odds are, but I lost all-in AA vs AA. Since then, AA scares me a bit. I have to fight and remind myself it's the best possible hand pre-flop.

That's actually worse than losing to worse cards. Losing to the same exact hand, but of course different suits, only to watch as the flush for your opponent lands in slow motion. Kept telling myself, "Nah, can't happen, we'll split", river came, and :(. It's not even a bad beat if you think about it.

It's weird, cuz I don't actually have the worst luck in the world, it's just I dunno weird long-shots keep happening on rare occasions and u know, I'll be honest I only remember when I'm on the losing end.

Thanks though. Cuz I've been second-guessing myself about it for two days.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I`m all in here too

Without starting up another massive argument, the only time, IMO, where u can fold is if u will move up or into the money for sure and u hold AA.

This would be if u held AA and 3 other stack push all in, making it sure u would move up a place or 2 by folding (understand?)

u have say 10k chips, player 1 has 20k, player 2 has 20k, player 3 has 80k. Players 1, 2, 3 allin. U could fold here knowing one will go out, therefore u will move up a place.

This, obviously, takes a lot of things into concideration.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As for the OP-its a ring game so you definately made the right play. You were in the lead with the best hand so get all your money in there with it.

Had this been a satellite and the 3rd player was SS and you can player 1 couldve doubled teamed him and got him out (player 3 would call the PFR and commit himself) then I would just call not push and hopefully get rid of another player. The same thing with moving up in a tournament, but only if a double up would not significantly mean anything. Say 2 chip leaders and a severe short (6 BB) stack goes all in and you have AA with only 15 BB. Calling here wouldnt be very profitable because if you win, you'll still be a short stack, but if you lose you get knocked down in 3rd place. By folding you have a chance of moving up to a 2nd place finish.

Last edited:
4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding AA preflop in a ring game? wtf is this a joke?

Edit: As for the guy who called you a stupid c*nt for shoving AA, just tell him to go and die.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well last night I got AA vs QQ all in pre flop and he hit a queen. I didn't starting cussing him out for calling with QQ so this guy can't be saying anything when you go all in with aces. :p

You probably just took the rest of the money he had in his bankroll and he was just blowing off some steam. Never fold aces pre flop in a cash game, never.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Folding AA preflop in a ring game? wtf is this a joke?

Edit: As for the guy who called you a stupid c*nt for shoving AA, just tell him to go and die.

Yep, just noticed. No decision here, call !!!

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What does he expect you to call with? A-A is the strongest preflop hand in poker. Period.

Some say A-K suited is slightly favored, but when I have a cupla ones and the other guy lays down A-K. Al's I do is smile.

You did good.

-

Chevren

Chevren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What does he expect you to call with? A-A is the strongest preflop hand in poker. Period.

Some say A-K suited is slightly favored, but when I have a cupla ones and the other guy lays down A-K. Al's I do is smile.

You did good.

-

Who the hell says this lol?? There is no situation where AKs is in a better position to win a perticular hand than AA preflop or at least none that I can think of realistically.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who the hell says this lol?? There is no situation where AKs is in a better position to win a perticular hand than AA preflop or at least none that I can think of realistically.
Yeah, but AK has 6 outs and QQ only has 2
:p

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you use the quick value method. It does.

A=14
K=13
Q=12
J=11, and 10 thru 2 are equal to their individual value.

You add two points for suited cards.

Add them up and double them. This gives you a quick reference to pre flop odds.

So, using this format.

A-K suited = 29x2=58%

A-A = 28x2=56%

And I did say "SOME SAY."

-

Chevren

Chevren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure where you saw that model at but you should probably study some of the actual probablities and try to commit as much as you can to memory at least the common situations.

The following Calculations are taken from a poker calculator I use and may not be perfect but should demonstrate how much better AA is than AKs.

AA vs. Big Pairs (AA-JJ) Win: 77.10% Lose: 17.46 Tie: 5.43
AA vs. Medium Pairs (TT-77) Win: 80.41 Lose: 19.21 Tie: 0.39
AA vs. Small Pairs (66-22) Win: 81.20 Lose: 18.40 Tie: .40
AA vs. Big Slick (AK) Win: 91.61 Lose: 7.21 Tie: 1.18
AA vs. High Cards (A-T, no pair) Win: 85.64 Lose: 13.73 Tie: .62
AA vs. Suited Connectors (T9-54) Win: 77.84 Lose: 21.79 Tie: .37
AA vs. Random hands Win: 85.12 Lose: 14.35 Tie: .53

AKs vs. Big Pairs (AA-JJ) Win: 38.33 Lose: 61.11 Tie: .56
AKs vs. Medium Pairs (TT-77) Win: 47.16 Lose: 52.45 Tie: .39
AKs vs. Small Pairs (66-22) Win: 48.23 Lose: 51.29 Tie: .48
AKs vs. Big Slick (AK) Win: 7.11 Lose: 3.85 Tie: 89.04
AKs vs. High Cards (A-T, no pair) Win: 65.51 Lose: 26.56 Tie: 7.93
AKs vs. Suited Connectors (T9-54) Win: 61.22 Lose: 38.26 Tie: 0.51
AKs vs. Random Hands Win: 66.24 Lose: 32.04 Tie: 1.72

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You havin fun? :deal:

-

Chevren

Chevren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You havin fun? :deal:

-

Actually yeah, I forgot I had this calculator thing kind a fun to screw around with since I cant play any SNGs on pokerstars right now :mad: I'm not trying to sound like an ass just offering advice...

Boeggs

Boeggs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel you gotta play AA before the flop at any time during the game whether big stacked, short stacked, first hand, last hand, whatever, whenever. For gods sake its the best hand pre-flop. Your a favorite to win against anything. That doesnh't mean your gonna win but thats poker.
You definetly go all-in.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A=14
K=13
Q=12

So, using this format.

A-K suited = 29x2=58%

A-A = 28x2=56%

-

Then according to this a,q suited has same value as a,a. Also if your going to use this method, then ak suited would be 58% while pocket 2's is 8%, even though it is a coin flip. This method sucks never obey it, if they are going to add 2 points for suited then why not add 2 for having connectors, or add 5 for having the ace of spades, or adding 10 for a joker

G

ginNjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A=14
K=13
Q=12

So, using this format.

A-K suited = 29x2=58%

A-A = 28x2=56%

-
I don't know where you got this information at but you need to find this person and play them for the highest stakes possible. And for yourself, don't ever follow this. It makes no sense. A-A=56%? What does this mean? Is this against all possible hands? Is this against one opponent, or in a multi way pot? I see no value in ever using this and I honestly hope that you never have, and if you do, please stop.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A=14
K=13
Q=12

So, using this format.

A-K suited = 29x2=58%

A-A = 28x2=56%

-

Isnt this the Gus Hansen 'method' where he gives point values for certain cards that he'll play in different positions? Or something like that...

::goes off in search of the video::

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then according to this a,q suited has same value as a,a. Also if your going to use this method, then ak suited would be 58% while pocket 2's is 8%, even though it is a coin flip. This method sucks never obey it, if they are going to add 2 points for suited then why not add 2 for having connectors, or add 5 for having the ace of spades, or adding 10 for a joker

I don't know where you got this information at but you need to find this person and play them for the highest stakes possible. And for yourself, don't ever follow this. It makes no sense. A-A=56%? What does this mean? Is this against all possible hands? Is this against one opponent, or in a multi way pot? I see no value in ever using this and I honestly hope that you never have, and if you do, please stop.

Idiocy is blissful. BTW, it's just a quick guide to valuing your pre flop strength. The % point represents the percentage that you will win outright, pre flop.

Isnt this the Gus Hansen 'method' where he gives point values for certain cards that he'll play in different positions? Or something like that...

Yes, thank you. But all these all knowing PRO's here, know better. LOL

-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.