8 8 on board: T 7 3 9 6 rainbow

L

Loki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a cool hand today in a live game, bb 5 dollars:
Im in mid position with pocket 8's and this dude in early position bets 30 total. I called with pocket 8s and the button calls. the flop comes:
T 7 3 rainbow.
Im saying ok, the dude that raised early should have a premium hand, either big pair or high cards. He bets small, like 15 on the flop! It's not at all a strong bet and I don't hesitate to call. The only reason I didn't test the waters out more by raising the dude was that the button was still playing. The button calls too... pots a good size now.
The turn is a 9, the suits dont matter.
The initial raiser checks, and I'm thinking should I check or put in a bet?
I mean theres a good chance that the initial raiser has only high cards considering
he isn't betting again, especially now since there is a straight draw. If I bet and someone raises me... Ill have to fold and Ill miss the chance for a straight. Where as if I just check, I can see what the button does and if he checks its a sign of that Im probably winning. I check. Im not sure if it was the right move... cause if the button had a T, he might even raise the initial flop bet... so betting might of been my better move. The river:
6!
I hit a backdoor straight. Initial raiser checks, I bet like 35% of the pot... and the button goes crazy and bets like 4 times what I bet.... Now im thinking... the onlllyyy
thing that can beat me is a T 8. The early position dude is gone btw.... So I have 3 choices:
folding: I am not gonna do it cause the dude probbbably doesn't even have an 8 lol...
checking.. or raising.... now heres the problem. If the guy does have an 8, but only an 8. We tie and raising would just make me lose money due to the rake. If he has a T 8, I will lose money.... but if he has anything less than a straight... would he be betting with it? I mean seriously. If he has a trio, and I did my bet, the most reasonable thing he should of done is just call. If he thought he was beating me and that I didnt have the straight, I think he would just call. So with that read I put him on a probable bluff or the smalllll chance he has an 8 or 8T... Me raising to his bluff would just cause him to fold making me no money. Me raising with 8 or 8T looses me money. So in no scenario I should have raised and I just called. The dude had a Q 7... bluffing as I thought. I am confident I did the right play even though I was beating him, what do you guys think?

L

Loki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh and even though the guy had a pair of sevens, He was still bluffing cause it was very obvious that I had something better than that at leassttt.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the call; no worse hands are calling a big re-re-raise, and your absolutely correct about either splitting or losing.

A

AvaloNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
J8 is the only hand that can beat you here, and we can exclude that from his range definitely, 9 just fell on the turn giving him the nut straight in a 3 way pot already checked to him. He should always bet here for value, but he didn't, meaning either he has an 8 and just picked up an open ended straight draw, or he has a T-x or something, and didn't want to bet on a coordinated board (weird but possible in this situation).
6 on the river is a very good card for you, completing your straight. You are ahead here very often, and if not ahead, then you are at least chopping.
I always bet here for value and if i get raised in spot like this I always call given the previous action.

R

redwards92

never going to move up
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah T8 doesn't beat you, J8 does lol.

As has already been said you made the optimal play and whether or not he was bluffing shouldn't factor into decision making should this situation arise again as that would be what we call results oriented and that is really never a good thing.

L

Loki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah T8 doesn't beat you, J8 does lol.

As has already been said you made the optimal play and whether or not he was bluffing shouldn't factor into decision making should this situation arise again as that would be what we call results oriented and that is really never a good thing.

yeah I meant to say J 8. I also think it was a good play, the only thing is I am wondering if I should have bet on the turn after the early position dude checked. I think I did good by checking cause I have no idea what the button guy has, and if he raises my bet I would probably have to fold on the turn. Checking gives me information and I would still call with a fair raise since either I'm winning or at least I have outs.

L

Loki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
J8 is the only hand that can beat you here, and we can exclude that from his range definitely, 9 just fell on the turn giving him the nut straight in a 3 way pot already checked to him. He should always bet here for value, but he didn't, meaning either he has an 8 and just picked up an open ended straight draw, or he has a T-x or something, and didn't want to bet on a coordinated board (weird but possible in this situation).
6 on the river is a very good card for you, completing your straight. You are ahead here very often, and if not ahead, then you are at least chopping.
I always bet here for value and if i get raised in spot like this I always call given the previous action.

The problem is I have seen a lot of people calling with gun shots at that table, especially when they have over cards with gunshots, giving them potentially more outs. I could see him calling with a jun shot on the flop no problem, especially when the initial better bet so little on the flop! and I called! his implied odds would be huge, considering all of us had a decent stack in front of us. The check also showed he could of been on a draw on the turn since he just didnt catch his card... He would defend a good pair if he had one but he didn't. I would say J 8 was in his range, but I am also considering information I have just stated like the table I was on does a lot of gun shot calls and are a bit loose.

L

Loki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm curious what you mean by "coordinated board"? What is a coordinated board?