6max vs 9max

SofaKingCrazy

SofaKingCrazy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always played tourneys and SNGs with maybe 4 times on a ring but lately have considered getting into them.

My question is what are the differences to playing 6max vs 9max. Do you have better odds to win hands with only 5 opponents? Is there a better potential to be called on a 9max and does this increase you winnings while also increasing your risk?

Any advice or experiences you'd like to share would be appreciated.

:evil:

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
search 6max vs 9max in the cash game forum. ive answered like 4 posts on exactly this this month

SofaKingCrazy

SofaKingCrazy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well sorry about that but I didn't see anything.

here's what the search found under the cash forum

6max vs 9max
SofaKingCrazy
Today 12:06 AM
by JCgrind
1 74 Cash Games

Twoturntablez Attempt at beating 2nl ( 1 2)
twoturntablez
29th September 2012 1:41 AM
by twoturntablez
61 1,440 Cash Games

My 1,000 Post I want "To Pay it Forward" ( 1 2 3)
ALL IN CLUBS
13th July 2012 6:26 PM
by soncheebs
92 3,273 Cash Games

***Funking Fantastic February Cash Thread*** ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
LuckyChippy
1st March 2012 1:23 AM
by juiceeQ
601 7,924 Cash Games

Top winning hands at showdown
ALL IN CLUBS
18th February 2012 2:06 PM
by dooydoo
7 767 Cash Games

The Mirage Theorem
ALL IN CLUBS
15th November 2011 9:12 PM
by msufan
4 599 Cash Games

I could read all of these and hope to find an answer but alas i do not believe there is one in any of these.

I tried out 6max last night and believe i will stick with that. played two tables for three 25-35 minute sessions for a profit of @ $8. Don't know if that was "beginners luck" or not and I know mean ole variance is out there waiting for me.

:evil:

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^That thread is pretty good about the subject, but since I see you're based in Virginia OP, I'll just add that at least on the Merge network you'll have far, far more game selection available at 6-max than FR.

I actually prefer FR, and that's all I played pre-BF. Since then the games have dried-up so badly in the US that I almost had to make the jump to 6-max just to have any kind of table selection opportunities at all. I don't know what time you play, or what network even, but on Merge (at least the times I play) 6-max tables out-number FR ones by about 5-6 to 1. And, of the few FR tables available at any given stake, almost all of them will have a very high proportion of regs/fish.

It's an on-going adjustment for me, tbh, and I'm still working on it. Actually, my play time/volume has really dropped-off lately since real life has been intruding into poker time a bit lately. The adjustment is/was a little difficult for me since I was an uber-nit at FR and still managed to win at a decent rate there.

That doesn't work so well at 6-max so you have to open your game up a bit. The difficulty is in finding an appropriate level of "looseness", of course coupled with aggression, that will get the job done. If you're coming from a FR nit background like I was, this is going to lead to you getting into unfamiliar/uncomfortable spots at first as you are more used to making a living off "fat value" situations, and now you're forced, by the nature of the game, into playing in many "thin value" spots.

At the end of the day, I think that it's still a good move to make, especially given the current state of the game in the US. It'll just take some adjustments to your game. Drop down a level or two and start slowly if you want to give it a try.

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah what micro said. not sure why that didnt pop up?

SofaKingCrazy

SofaKingCrazy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually never played rings until recently hear about a week ago but I find out like the 6 max that's a pretty easy for me I guess not really sure still too early I didn't understand that I had to loosen up and get more aggressive and that's what I've done I don't use a HUD but according the pokerstove my range my opening range is around 37 percent and I know that's pretty loose but it helps get the call that I need for a better hands and you just gotta learn how to fold post flop which is where I still have a problem sorry about the wall text using my phone doesn't seem to want to return for me :evil:

otari

otari

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer 9 max games. You have a better chance to win bigger pots.