14 BUY-IN downswing.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My bank roll has been up and down so much in the last month. down 14 buy ins at 5nl.

i starting with 13 buy ins at 5 nl up too 47.2 buy ins, now im swinging down. I dont want to go any further.

Im not playing my best because of constant suck outs. so my decisions are off as well getting cold decked or coolered.

should i take a break of play through it.

or drop back down to 2nl? :confused: :confused: :confused:

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Go back to 2NL. Read the basics again. Cool off a day or 2. That is what worked for me.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At least you are still break even.

Have to go down stakes to increase buy-ins.

Must have a BRM system to follow.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely take a break, as you will just get yourself into a rut and it will be more frustrating

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Figure if it's down to variance or bad play then proceed accordingly.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have these issues too sometimes. The suckouts probably arent where you are losing the most money, they just stick out more. Take some time off, usually a day or two for me and start playing without thinking of getting back to where you were. Just take it one decision at a time and you'll be ok. P.S. People suck out on me at least 3 big pots a day, but I'm still able to make money cause I don't let it affect me in other decisions, and I play a lot of hands. GL OUT THERE

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break. Get your mind off poker. Have you read my thread or book at all?

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/polished-poker-vol-i-study-group-227214//index32.html
Not yet but I will, thanks :) need to work on my study of the game.

Figure if it's down to variance or bad play then proceed accordingly.
Yeah, I like to claim variance,easy way out, but I know in my heart of hearts I make bad decisions more than I should. Example calling a 4 bet preflop with a hand that should be mucked even though I opened the pot. Dont have the right pot odds for the hand.
I have these issues too sometimes. The suckouts probably arent where you are losing the most money, they just stick out more. Take some time off, usually a day or two for me and start playing without thinking of getting back to where you were. Just take it one decision at a time and you'll be ok. P.S. People suck out on me at least 3 big pots a day, but I'm still able to make money cause I don't let it affect me in other decisions, and I play a lot of hands. GL OUT THERE

Ok, I think I might try some meditation, generally it takes a lot to get me angry, but when im pissed I play like a tool.

I love this forum, because even though I know the answer to how to correct my problems, just getting out there and have people confirm it really makes it real and not just a hunch.

Cardschat, again I thank you guys. Gonna drop to 2nl for a session and work on basics of TAG play.

-Playtheman

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi playtheman. I'm just now coming out of my month long bad run, so know how you feel. What I done was spend most of my day in my forums, asking a lot of questions. I dropped back down. Don't know what you play the best tourny/ring games, but I would only play one tourny a day for awhile, or regular table for 2 hours. Also I set my mind that the money I lost was not going to come back fast, so if I win 1 dollar a day then that is how it has to be for awhile. GL

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi playtheman. I'm just now coming out of my month long bad run, so know how you feel. What I done was spend most of my day in my forums, asking a lot of questions. I dropped back down. Don't know what you play the best tourny/ring games, but I would only play one tourny a day for awhile, or regular table for 2 hours. Also I set my mind that the money I lost was not going to come back fast, so if I win 1 dollar a day then that is how it has to be for awhile. GL

thanks for your contribution, but im getting mentally destroyed, my brain is actually sore. I just want to smash everything in my room, ive gone from 236 dollars to 152 in a shorter amount of time then i got from 152 up to 236.

i feel like im on escalator that is doing down as i walk up. sure i can beat it at first, but after a while it keeps going down and takes my legs out and i go down with it.

im missing flops with every 'monster' hand. while getting called by fish ill have AK AJ AQ suited etc but when i make the same size raises with AA KK QQ i get folds, and the same size raises with SC's get 3 bet huge. And its just frustrating.

if i do make a hand I get rivered by a 3 outter. or some other ridiculous hand with 1 out
or ill have aq and end up losing to ak

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not yet but I will, thanks :) need to work on my study of the game.

Yeah, I like to claim variance,easy way out, but I know in my heart of hearts I make bad decisions more than I should. Example calling a 4 bet preflop with a hand that should be mucked even though I opened the pot. Dont have the right pot odds for the hand.

Ok, I think I might try some meditation, generally it takes a lot to get me angry, but when im pissed I play like a tool.

I love this forum, because even though I know the answer to how to correct my problems, just getting out there and have people confirm it really makes it real and not just a hunch.

Cardschat, again I thank you guys. Gonna drop to 2nl for a session and work on basics of TAG play.

-Playtheman

This is honestly my best suggestion. Take a break, get your mind off the game. Then when you're ready go back and study the game again (still don't play). Just take some time and analyze your play. Join our study group on here as it's about the best you'll find for free imho to give you tools to beat these games.

Also, start responding to other people's posts about hand situations. That's one of the best ways you'll learn as well.

N

nativebar

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi guys,

about the subject of negative variance i think one reason of bad luck : bad play is because of a pyschological need to get back to even faster than you should statistically be able to.
Subconsciously you will involuntarily try to get it back faster, and that means you may find yourself entering pots you normally wouldn't because they are abnormally large, or limping with far too many hands, or calling low EV bets hoping for a lucky card... I.E, you will play worse trying to race against time.
For me, after really big loses, regardless of the reason, I found that two weeks was about right for me to stop caring about the big loss. Another thing that helps is to drop down to much lower stakes than you usually play. The stakes have to be low enough that there is no possible way you can make back your recent losses. This has a similar effect to not playing at all because once your mind has accepted the fact that you can't get even at these stakes, it won't trick you into making the mistakes I mentioned above, and you can get back to focusing on odds, EV, and reading people.

XeiLioN

XeiLioN

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is honestly my best suggestion. Take a break, get your mind off the game. Then when you're ready go back and study the game again (still don't play). Just take some time and analyze your play. Join our study group on here as it's about the best you'll find for free imho to give you tools to beat these games.

Also, start responding to other people's posts about hand situations. That's one of the best ways you'll learn as well.

John has basically hit the nail on the head with his replies here. The best thing you can do at this point is take a couple of days away from the tables, but instead, look over the hand history with some of your biggest losses from the tables. Go over them and see where you could be making potentially huge mistakes (IE, the biggest I notice with a lot of people is chasing -EV draws). Many very simple mistakes can add up to a continual decline in profits over the long haul.

Also look at some of the other hands you've played where you've gotten to showdown, you could be missing potential value by improperly extracting value as well!

By all means, feel free to post some of your hand histories and ask questions if you have any. There are plenty of us members here on the forum who are always willing to help out!

Best of luck to you! :cool:

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Improve your game

Take a more conservative BRM approach

you started with 13 buy ins? (lol)

your actively thinking about your losses while you play? (recipe for failure)

under these conditions you can't even beat microstakes.

BigSlickBaby

BigSlickBaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree. Don't take time off - That never helped me so far. Don't do anything but work on your game even harder. If you want to regularly beat online cash games today, even 2nl, you're going to have to put in the work off the felt. As Karozi said, you need to review proper BRM and actively use it. You can't be in 2nl worrying about every shove or called shove. You'll play too tight post flop, get caught in the switches, and just wind up on a downward spiral...which is pretty much what's happened to you.

Do you use a training site? If you use DC, there's plenty of videos I could recommend to you that people had me watch when I was in the same position as you about six or seven weeks ago. That, along with trying out other variants of the game (MTT's, SNG's, HU, etc...all NLHE, obviously) really helped me to start to understand the game better. You need to start understanding push/fold charts, putting opponents on ranges and refining your own ranges, and playing enough hands so that you start to recognize villain lines and know how to react to them properly.

Really...starting to do all of that is going to do a hell of a lot more for your game than simply spending the next four or five days watching TV, taking a walk, and clearing your mind of poker. The issue here isn't burnout or simply taking a chain of bad beats - the issue here is one of skill, experience, and understanding.

I'm new to poker myself and even I understand all of that.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing under exhaustion is bad for your bankroll.Youll lost focus and be tilting all the time.It could be one of the factor.

B

bengan95

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally when it goes bad for me i take a day off and start read strategies and fundementals from scratch and some reviewing, and then i analyze som hands, well i'm a study freak:p
And afterall 14 BI down is nothing really, but if u lost that within some hours i guess u need to study the game really much.
since your on 5nl and losing 5 buy ins that fast if it's with in some hours.
And probably move down in stakes. Maybe try some sitngos/tournaments out.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've played online for over 10 years now. I've played at a high professional level, and I've played at a casual level. I've been through every kind of swing you can have during a poker career, emotionally and otherwise.

The absolute best thing that has always worked for me is taking a break, and letting go of my past results. Just get my mind off of poker completely, because a key part of tilt is not being able to let go. So you need to give yourself and your mind some practice in letting go, and just stop. If you can't do this effectively, you're going to really struggle in your game. A lot of people get stuck here.

You have to let go of any kind of entitlement, any kind of vision of what could have been, accept fully what has happened, forgive yourself, and let it go. Give your mind a break, and then come back refreshed and analyze your game with new eyes. If you try and do it before you've fully let go, you're not going to pull as much away from it as you could because you'll still be attached to what could have been.

Just my 2 cents.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played online for over 10 years now. I've played at a high professional level, and I've played at a casual level. I've been through every kind of swing you can have during a poker career, emotionally and otherwise.

The absolute best thing that has always worked for me is taking a break, and letting go of my past results. Just get my mind off of poker completely, because a key part of tilt is not being able to let go. So you need to give yourself and your mind some practice in letting go, and just stop. If you can't do this effectively, you're going to really struggle in your game. A lot of people get stuck here.

You have to let go of any kind of entitlement, any kind of vision of what could have been, accept fully what has happened, forgive yourself, and let it go. Give your mind a break, and then come back refreshed and analyze your game with new eyes. If you try and do it before you've fully let go, you're not going to pull as much away from it as you could because you'll still be attached to what could have been.

Just my 2 cents.

This holds true in so much more than poker. The robustness of advice can be measured through it's universal applicability. This post is filled to the brim with good advice that can be applied to every aspect of life.

It's a great post John. Thanks for making it.

I

IWontDominate

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO you should take a break,and there is a simple reason for it.You are playing under pressure because of your money (OMG I NEED TO WIN SOME BIS) and you are not enjoying the game.You are making bad decisions in order to win some money back.Swings are common in poker,that is obvious.You just need to find the way how to deal with them.Reduce volume,do more reviews if you arent sure about your play,or take a break/go 1 limit lower.This might help you.

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break, also diversify the games you play or play small buy in tourneys. When you hit a downswing at NL you should definitely move down, but also if you are proficient in some other games it can be refreshing to play some Omaha or hi lo. Exercise and fresh air are also needed to clear your mind. I try my best to only gamble 3 days a week, when I gamble every day there is no way I am at my best.

astisupamanti

astisupamanti

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
move to a lower limit, cool down and take a break for a day or two, find something to indulge your mind in besides poker and come back fresh !!! it works wonders for my games.