Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play Stars you can see I folded, just wondering how many would/would not call in this situation...

Note: went on to win, so this hand wasn't needed, just wondering how my value of this hand is in this situation.

Attachments

• wouldyou.JPG
    wouldyou.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 7
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can you expect a good answer with so little information given?

Is this a sng? One table? How have your opponents been playing? How have you been playing?

This should be a raise or fold situation - calling is just terrible. Unless everyone's caving to my aggression here on the bubble (assuming it's an STT) I'm folding this.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$16 buy-in, 1 table turbo SNG, no decent reads (no major maniacs/nits), I haven't played more than about 3 hands to this point, all of which took people out, so I've shown nothing but strong hands.

This should be a raise or fold situation - calling is just terrible.

Which is why I put more options in the poll.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must take your opponent's stack sizes in relation to the blinds (mzones) into consideration. All your opponents have fairly low mzones, which means they are looking for someone (you) to double up through. Raising with K9 and going up against a smaller stack who virtually must commit their entire stack to play this pot would be a very bad situation for you. K9 suited is a fairly good hand 4 handed, but your opponent's stack sizes is what worries me the most.
Let's go through all of the options, starting with the fold option: Folding here has no harm done to your stack, and you give the smaller stacks a chance to knock each other out. You do not need to be the person to knock people out even though you are the big stack.
"Smooth calling" is out of the question. You are just sweetening the pot for a shorter stack to push all in, in which case a call would be extremely weak.
Min raising: look at my damn sig, and min raising is accomplishing almost the same thing as "smooth calling".
You could be aggressive here and raise 3X the BB or 4X the BB, but again, you are committing yourself to a pot vs a small stack with a weak hand. The way I see it, you are only getting called/raised by a better hand, and the hands you have beat are all folding out.
Please don't push this. Once again, only getting called by a better hand.
I vote fold. Save your chips, and let the shorter stacks knock themselves out.
The average stack is 3,375, but you hold a very large stack in comparison to the average than all of the other shorter stacks. What I mean is, it is hard to play pots with your opponents because they all have such short stacks. The only pots that they will be playing will involve themselves committing their entire stacks at some point in the hand, and you cannot afford to do that with such a mediocre hand.

CrackaNACtion

CrackaNACtion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Id raise it. ur opponents have low stacks! put pressure on em!

U

Uygar89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
youre the chipleader and i think k9 suited with position and a massive stack isnt that bad. so i would only call this even if someone raised 2 or 3 times of the big blind.

M

meanissone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would either raise it or fold depending how the rest of the table is playing,but being chip leader i would raise it 2-3 times the bb

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would call to see the flop

Explain why please. I am interested in what you have to say but it is hard when you suggest something, and have no real reasoning to back it up.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ohhhh!
lol
K_Kahne_Fan- what do you make of our suggestions?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I voted 3x BB, as mentioned he had good table image, reasonable position and has large chip lead, most likely they would fold, if they call you get to see the flop and go from there if they raise re-evaluation is required.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
id raise x3 because im an fairly aggressive person with a chip stack that size.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, forgot to post result...

As you read the results, think about the flop/turn/river and let me know how/if you would've played them (not knowing what was next)

pokerstars Game #15571503341: Tournament #78817993, $11+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level II (15/30) - 2008/02/26 - 16:19:14 (ET)
Table '78817993 9' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: breukel (1500 in chips)
Seat 2: pretzel103 (1180 in chips)
Seat 3: ours1964 (1375 in chips)
Seat 4: castamal (1535 in chips)
Seat 5: WingGypsy (2820 in chips)
Seat 6: 09kKahneFan (1860 in chips)
Seat 7: pascie (1310 in chips)
Seat 8: SPARTE666 (1720 in chips)
Seat 9: JIMEURCHIPSS (1380 in chips)
SPARTE666: posts small blind 15
JIMEURCHIPSS: posts big blind 30
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to 09kKahneFan [:5c4: :5h4:]
breukel: folds
pretzel103: calls 30
ours1964: folds
castamal: folds
WingGypsy: calls 30
09kKahneFan: calls 30
pascie: raises 120 to 150
SPARTE666 has timed out
SPARTE666: folds
SPARTE666 is sitting out
JIMEURCHIPSS: folds
pretzel103: calls 120
WingGypsy: calls 120
09kKahneFan: folds <-- I chickened out - this is where this post teaches me that I (should've called.
*** FLOP *** [:9s4: :10h4: :3c4:]
pretzel103: checks
WingGypsy: checks
09kKahneFan: (what would you do here?)

pascie: bets 210
SPARTE666 has returned
pretzel103: folds
WingGypsy: calls 210
09kKahneFan: (depending on your flop action: what now?)

*** TURN *** [9s Th 3c] :ks4:
WingGypsy: checks
09kKahneFan: (Did you stay this long? : what now?)
pascie: checks

*** RIVER *** [9s Th 3c Ks] :5d4:
WingGypsy: bets 90
09kKahneFan: (had you stayed this long... now what?)
pascie: calls 90
*** SHOW DOWN ***
WingGypsy: shows [9c Qd] (a pair of Nines)
pascie: shows [Tc Ah] (a pair of Tens)
pascie collected 1125 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1125 | Rake 0
Board [9s Th 3c Ks 5d]
Seat 1: breukel folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: pretzel103 folded on the Flop
Seat 3: ours1964 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: castamal folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: WingGypsy showed [9c Qd] and lost with a pair of Nines
Seat 6: 09kKahneFan folded before Flop
Seat 7: pascie (button) showed [Tc Ah] and won (1125) with a pair of Tens
Seat 8: SPARTE666 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: JIMEURCHIPSS (big blind) folded before Flop

benevg

benevg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
<-- I chickened out - this is where this post teaches me that I (should've called.
ummm... no.
if this post teaches you that you should've called, then you are too results-oriented. hitting the 2-outer will not happen every time. in fact, it will happen rarely enough to have you fold here, although you are close enough with the implied odds. and really, even if you call now, you would have to fold at the flop or turn when a 5 doesn't hit.

the K9 hand - you've been playing like a nit. seems like a good time to raise to about 500 utg. :)

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HA! ...oops.... wrong thread :)

That hand was for Odds Thread

As for this thread. My thoughts here were - I'm the chip leader w/ people behind me. I could limp in, but am I ready for someone behind me to raise big and/or push? Or, even if I limp and catch a K on the flop, I'm probably not in good shape against any other K that may have limped as well. If I catch a K9 on the flop, I could be up against someone limping with a Q10/QJ/J10 which are all playable here. More than likely I would only catch 1-2 clubs on the flop, so I would have to be ready for a possible raise situation post flop and do I want to risk possible MORE of my stack on a draw? ... So, I made the laydown and figured I was in good spot to wait for a better hand... which worked out since I went on to win.

Last edited:
zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't fold here, you have to be prepared to stack off your opponents. Depending on payout structure, I probably just wait for better position. Same situation and I'm on the button folded to me? Insta-raise. But UTG with this large of a chip lead, no reason to go donking off 1/5 of my stack with a hand like K9 with no information on other hands.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't fold here, you have to be prepared to stack off your opponents. Depending on payout structure, I probably just wait for better position. Same situation and I'm on the button folded to me? Insta-raise. But UTG with this large of a chip lead, no reason to go donking off 1/5 of my stack with a hand like K9 with no information on other hands.

Same thing I said, except explained 10X better imo. lol

poker don222

poker don222

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Forget opponents stacks in comparsion to urs and i dont care weather or not this is a s&g or cash game K 9 suited is not a good hand looks to me that this is a tourny so i would fold it "like its hot". You're have to get these types of garbage hands out of ur system and loose the urge to play them. Use a poker hand calculator im using one from pocket fives and this Exact hand only has a 13% chance to win with respect to the other opponents.

K_Kahne_Fan

K_Kahne_Fan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to get these types of garbage hands out of ur system and loose the urge to play them.

Probably sums it up right there. :D Sometimes when I (and probably others) have a larger stack, it's tempting to think "man, if I could hit that flush...", but I just have to play normal as I would with an average or even short stack... which is what I did here.

0_ARIZONA_0

0_ARIZONA_0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don'rt know, but I have to go with my gut on hands like this. It depends alot on how the other players are playin I like to smooth call and at least see the flop and go from there.

M

Mind6170

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't see a reason to take a high risk due to the early position with this weak hand !?