Tables Breaking Down

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I play on pokerstars exclusively, and generally play $25NL ring hold'em. I usually look for a table with a reasonable avg pot size and as few minimum buy-in nits as possible.

The big problem is, I wait for the blind to reach me, then I'm lucky if I get 1 round in before there's 2 empty seats, and people start sitting out. When that happens, the table generally breaks down in a couple of hands.

Now, I know I'm not that good a player that people are afraid once I sit down. So, is this just a product of the stakes I'm playing at? Am I better off looking for a table with a really high avg pot size? Really low? All big stacks sitting down? Is this such a big problem on the higher stake tables?

It seems worst in the early evenings when you get a lot of these $5 buy-in players who are jumping from table to table looking for someone that will call when they open shove with AA.

Any tips on finding a ring table that lasts long enough to get some play?

jorlan

jorlan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
respect is one of the most important qualities a poker player wants, on his game as on his person, so is very important as in life to get a good first impression. when u r in, u have to give some action if u want some tigth players almost in all cases in ring games are expectators and could stay all day long just for the rigth guy to broke. so keep it cool and it shall come.

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe it's the hours you're playing? I'd assume that the morning hours have a high turnover, as people go to work/school.

One thing I find is that if the table gets down to just a few people, if they refill it's with players who are not scoping out the best tables. IE, players who I want to play against.

As for picking tables, your highest priority should be a large percentage of people seeing the flop.
Average pot size is important as well, because you don't want to sit with a bunch of nitty players.
I prefer tables with large chip stacks, as I feel I'm better than most players so I want to be able to win the most money. Some prefer playing against short stacks, feeling that it's easier to get money from them.

I play $25 ring games as well. To pick a table, I arrange the micro limit games by pot size. Then I go down the list and add myself to the waiting list of tables that have a high percentage of people seeing the flop. I add myself to about 5 tables, though I rarely play more than two at a time. If there are too many short stacks I'll skip the table.

Last edited: