J

jjpuk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What do people make of these??

Find it strange so many people going all in so early on

Also ive noticed at Titan that the rebuys do not go into the total price pool at the end
Is this standard online procedure?

D

dillingerdis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the kind of tournament that i concluded i will never participate in again. Pretty much for the reasons you give. Ill bet theres a lot of people that specifically play these because they like them, but i think its just bad news.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Low stake rebuy tourney's have a seperate game theory attached. During the rebuy period, the allins serrve a dual purpose: 1) you might get lucky and draw out, and 2) for a small fee, you get x number of additional chips in play, to potentially win later. For example, in a 3 dollar rebuy, if you go bust, it's $6 to get right back to square 1, and there's an additional 3k chip stack in play. This, at least in theory, is why you see so much crazy play in the early stages. In order to adhere to correct BR management and play effectively, I usually figure that the equivalent of 5X the buyin price, or $15 for a $3 tourney, is what you should budget going in. That's a double buy at the get go, 2 rebuys to hold in reserve during the 1st hour, plus the addon at the 1st break. I limit myself to that, otherwise it can get ridiculous. I've seen players spend $40-45 dollars trying to build a lead in a $3 rebuy, but to me, that's just wasteful. I usually play tighter than most early, and look to score big on a couple premium hands.

They are not a game I go for often, and they are def. not for the squeamish of faint of heart, but they have a HUGE upside if you play smart and don't get sucked out. Last time I played one, I caught pretty lucky, and turned a $9 investment into $180 payday. Pretty good turn for an afternoon of my time.