A question for the pros here.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play poker for a living, have you ever had a month where you don't make any money at all? I've been playing the $50 tables full time this month and all I've made was $200... Losing every coin flip, getting bad beats non stop, queens run into kings, kings run into aces, aces get beat by sets, full houses get beat by quads. Absolute nightmare... Does anyone else that plays full time relate to this? :mad:

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not me personally however I know that as a pro you need to have enough money bankrolled to sustain yourself for at least 3 - 6 months to deal with bad runs etc

L

_LazyGun_

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
make sure that a couple of bad beats hasn't changed your game. maybe your not aggressive enough any more. maybe the opposite. take some time analysing the hands of a session you played.

if you can't find anything wrong with your game, just continue doing what your doing. downswings happen, but they also end...

good luck!

quazar66

quazar66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing live for a year I had a string of 3 months that was exactly like you described. The key is to ride this streak out with minimal losses. When all else falls take a break. Its amazing how much a bad streak is caused by having a bad week and for the next month you change your game. I can relate to your problem of having a bad run. But keep in mind what and how you make it to that point before your bad streak. Play correct and remember the basics. I also found if you read a book on the basic play of poker how much you have deviated from the program. Good luck. It takes patience and dedication to play to pay the bills.

K

KidMojo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How likely is it for someone to actually make a decent living playing poker? And what sort of bank roll would you need to start with? I mean how likely is it to make $40,000+ year playing poker?

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
[quote=KidMojo;630494]How likely is it for someone to actually make a decent living playing poker? And what sort of bank roll would you need to start with? I mean how likely is it to make $40,000+ year playing poker?[/quote]

Unless you already have a ton, along with a great online game, and able to play big stakes, the only real chance is TOURNAMENTS. And even playing tournaments, you need a big bankroll, and may have to wait a year. (or two)

Don't quit your real job.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is my plan on becoming pro:

1) Work at a regular, enjoyable job for 45 years.
2) Retire with a secure income and comfortable savings/investments for mundane things like food, heat, etc. Even enough for fun stuff like vacations, travel, etc.
3) Bankroll sites with enough to practice and become profitable.
4) Practice until bankroll constantly increases.
5) Start removing excess for super fun stuff, like a buy-in to the next wsop.

I am on 4. Started last 20 days with bankroll 1440, varied +/- 30 and now at 1440, so not ready to move on yet.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^ with you on thier side I'm sure that won't be a problem.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm thinking about saving up a couple Gs and then taking a trip with some friends to Europe next year to relax and maybe play a WSOPE event or two.

Probably a HORSE event or PLHE.