Putting Myself Out There

32SpittFire

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok,

I few days ago I was on the TILT of all time. I started a post on needing help being coached and was quickly turned around by a few posts and some very sane advise.

I have been encouraged to take this not as a challenge but more as a reality check.

I WANT TO BE A WINNER!! I am ready to do what it takes and have faces a very real reality that there is a ton of work to be done.

I have been playing live and online for about 3 years and am fully prepared to become a winner. I have started by listening to the advise given to me on this forum. I have a couple new books on order, looking at the poker tracker software and have set some goals, long and short term. Which by the way took me about 4 hours to grind that out this morning.

All right here we go the actual question!!!!
Does my goal seem realistic here or not? If not any suggestions will be greatly appreiciated.

Goal:
My immediate goal is to set up a realistic plan and stick to it.
My midrange goal is to win consistantly at a level that will replace my 6 Month Seasonal Salary (10,000) within the next 3 Years.
My Longterm Goal is to generate a bankroll that maintains my midrange goal and grows to a level within 5 years allowing me to participate in the wsop.

Starting Bankroll: $300
Game: Fixed Limit Holdem .50/1.00
hands: Play 180 hands a day 7 days a week on a (9 Player Table)/or 14 hours a week to allow for flexible schedule. ***(I have 3 live games I play during the week in my little town here and I am not sure if I am giving them up yet. They are Tourny style)***

*Track my play using a speadsheet for Profit/Loss for each session (180 hands) and utilizing the Poker Tracker Software.
*Review at least 2-3 hours a week the 1260 hands played and try and post hand history for others to review
*Read at least 2-3 hours a week on new books and materials
*Stay connected to the Poker Comunnity via forums
*Manage my bankroll to a level that meets or exceeds 300X Big Blind in order to move to the next level.
*Evaluate progression at a minimum of 5400 hands to prevent falling below my 300X BB bet and adjust down if necessary or 10,800 Maximum must be played, including the 300X BB bet must me achieved before moving up a level.

OK there it is....sorry so wingy

thans in advance

S

sweetious

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
just some thought...

very interesting plan and concept, it's obvious you've put some thought and work into it.

I read a quote a while ago by phil ivey that said in a sense that experience playing is the best tool for learning. In other words, reading books and forum info etc is good but that doesnt beat developing your own variation of the basic strategies.

my thought is go with your plan, see how it goes, but in addition you may consider playing freerolls to try some new things out. But that's just my opinion, i dont really have higher aspirations of going to the wsop.

All the best!!

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok,

I few days ago I was on the TILT of all time. I started a post on needing help being coached and was quickly turned around by a few posts and some very sane advise.

I have been encouraged to take this not as a challenge but more as a reality check.

I WANT TO BE A WINNER!! I am ready to do what it takes and have faces a very real reality that there is a ton of work to be done.

If this is really true, and you truly will put in the time, even when it's boring and you seem to be going nowhere, then you should be able to reach a level of at least beating the rake and becoming an overall winning player.

I have been playing live and online for about 3 years and am fully prepared to become a winner. I have started by listening to the advise given to me on this forum. I have a couple new books on order, looking at the poker tracker software and have set some goals, long and short term. Which by the way took me about 4 hours to grind that out this morning.

All right here we go the actual question!!!!
Does my goal seem realistic here or not? If not any suggestions will be greatly appreiciated.

Goal:
My immediate goal is to set up a realistic plan and stick to it.
My midrange goal is to win consistantly at a level that will replace my 6 Month Seasonal Salary (10,000) within the next 3 Years.
Unless you plan on moving up from the .50/1 or playing more hands, this goal is totally unrealistic. You say 180 hands a day for 7 days a week to make 10,000 every 6 months? Well 10,000 every 6 months is 1667 every month, about 55.55 a day. So 55.55 in 180 hands means you're winning 31 cents a hand, or $31 per hundred hands. a 15.5 BB/100 hands is very unrealistic IMO, especially at .50/1.

My Longterm Goal is to generate a bankroll that maintains my midrange goal and grows to a level within 5 years allowing me to participate in the WSOP.
Make sure that money for the WSOP is throwaway money, as in you plan on losing, any winnings is a bonus. You can't buy into a tournament with pressure on you to money, or else you won't be willing to make correct moves that may put your tournament life at stake.

*Track my play using a speadsheet for Profit/Loss for each session (180 hands) and utilizing the Poker Tracker Software.
*Review at least 2-3 hours a week the 1260 hands played and try and post hand history for others to review
*Read at least 2-3 hours a week on new books and materials
*Stay connected to the Poker Comunnity via forums
*Manage my bankroll to a level that meets or exceeds 300X Big Blind in order to move to the next level.
*Evaluate progression at a minimum of 5400 hands to prevent falling below my 300X BB bet and adjust down if necessary or 10,800 Maximum must be played, including the 300X BB bet must me achieved before moving up a level.

OK there it is....sorry so wingy

thans in advance

This last set of goals and plans is great, just make sure you stick to them. I'm sure you're feeling optimistic and great now, but the real test will be when you lose something like $200 in the matter of 10 minutes. Will you let it throw you off? Tilt happens, and there's no way to absolutely eliminate it. So make sure you stick to your goals and exercise discipline. No one ever said playing poker was easy, and when you rely on it for a steady income, it's going to be a BIG mental strain. If you think you can handle it and are willing to grind it out it is possible. But only you can know if you're capable of it or not. Good luck, you're on your way, and if you actually are willing to work hard, you've got a decent shot of achieving your goals.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Longterm Goal is to generate a bankroll that maintains my midrange goal and grows to a level within 5 years allowing me to participate in the WSOP.
Both of these goals are very achievable if you keep improving your game and moving up in limits as your bankroll grows.
But it takes a lot of discipline, especially during those inevitable losing streaks.

5000 hands is not enough to evaluate how you're doing. Downswings (or upswings) lasting over 5000 hands are not uncommon.

To be honest, I think you're gonna have to put more time into this whole thing. 1200 hands per week is very little, you might experience downswings lasting several weeks, and I predict that this is going to frustrate you so much that you'll stop playing.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Stop "considering" PT and buy it. Now. You will not only take care of having an accurate br recorder, but reviewing your play will now also be an option.

2. Here is a br article you might want to check out. Remember: 300BB gives a 1BB/hr player a 3% chance of going broke. Also, if you fall under 300, you "technically" have to move down (or accept the higher ROR). Also, your "style" will have an impact on how much br you need, with aggressive players wanting a little more cushion for the natural swings associated w that style of play.

3. Consider that playing in live NL tournaments might not be the best idea if you are trying to work on your online limit game. Then again, maybe it is (?) and will help your poker generally. Just something to think about is all...

4. Consider two tabling (maybe even getting comfortable with three eventually) after your very initial foray, it will make your 180 hands a lot easier to achieve, and shouldn't effect your win rate negatively to any real degree.