PLO8 is a game of skill rather than luck (Pot Limit Omaha hi/ lo)

4Aces

4Aces

is watching you
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All forms of poker are games of skill. Alot of people who don't play omaha at all, say its a crapshoot and its mostly luck, thats not true and the people who say that annoy me.
I play plo quite a lot, but not hi/low. Thanks for sharing this article, i really want to improve my plo8 game.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree, i also play omaha a lot, and its probably my best game, not high low though, just hi, i hate splitting the pot. Also not all forms of poker are more skill than luck. Chinese poker, is about 95% poker, but what a great game

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha8 is a good micro MTT game. Often, you'll find players who treat it like it IS a crapshoot, as Aces said, and they make easy pickings.

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno, I'm not a big luck vs. skill guy (I'm more results oriented), but I think percentage wise its probably one of the easiest games to get "lucky" in. Your never too far behind in plo8 and if you are, you should know it.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno, I'm not a big luck vs. skill guy (I'm more results oriented), but I think percentage wise its probably one of the easiest games to get "lucky" in. Your never too far behind in plo8 and if you are, you should know it.

If you are a good poker player who can read the flops and know what the nuts is PLO is a more skillfull game.

The reason low limit NLHE players do not like PLO hi lo is because u can`t bluff as easily as you can in NLHE. Also, because u have more information it is not just a question of raise, raise, raise.

I would agree that preflop the win % in PLO hi lo is a grey area. It is fun for me to watch NLHE players playing PLO and putting in massive preflop raises with any hand that contains A2 or any hand the has AA. KK in it.

They don`t last very long :)

The two games are the same but different!!!

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NLHE is a game of chips and bets. PL08 is mostly a game of cards, though some skillful betting is required (and the skill in that betting is much more nuanced than the pure aggression of NL).

08 is a game of counting your outs and making smart bets/decisions based on them. And this outcounting gets a lot more complicated than NL (where the 4x, 2x rule and knowing you are ahead if you have a OESFD is about all you need to know).

L

lottomode777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Omaha are all games of hitting nuts, having redraws, and continuing only with good draws to beat the nuts. I don't know if there is more skill than Hold em, because any random hand is almost close to the value of any other random hand, even with aces, so there is more luck and swings in the game. You can hit trips, two pair, straight a lot more often which makes it difficult to know if your AA is way ahead or way behind on any flop. People definetly misplay it more, or have little experience with Omaha games, which is why you probably can rake in more $$

T

thasauce7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, there are plenty of grey area situations in plo8, and times when you could flop the nuts and be 50/50 or behind. Yes being a good player helps, just like in NLHE. I think the most skillful part of the game is recognizing scooping situations or determining in multi-way pots who has a hi hand and who has the low. Its much more difficult in PLO8 than in LO8. If you sit at a table with good quality PLO8 players, its amazing how many chips move around, online though you'd be lucky to sit with one.

Top 10 Games