Online poker income, what's the best game?

F

FLPoker111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a similar thread on another board. In a nutshell, the author wanted to know which game is more condusive to making a steady income, limit or no limit. Interestingly the concesus was limit. I've played mostly no limit games, and have only dabbled at limit tables and I've had very mixed results. I've pulled down some huge pots in NL, and I've lost some to, but I think I have done better in the NL games. I would greatly appreciate the opinions of the board, I'm not looking to get rich by any means, but I would like to see the bankroll increasing at a steady pace. Thanks!

Stefanicov

Stefanicov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limit if u got the patience will run u steadily nl will make u rich:cool:

Katie Kards

Katie Kards

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am really trying to learn as much as I can about limit. I am going towards it as my source of poker income.

T

tigertight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to play limit because thats where i make the most profit and also seems to have alot of fun even thought it dosn't have the no limit creativity to it but i like it

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limit is almost all math, my question for limit players is how good are the other limit players? I'd think with the popularity of NL that most of the people playing limit would know what they were doing in terms of math. Is this true? If it's not I will seriously consider playing limit as it is seriously practically all math.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most profitable game is the one where you feel you have the biggest edge skill-wise over your opponents.

That could be limit hold 'em for some, and high/low stud or heads-up no limit hold 'em for others. I'd just keep good records of your play and focus on the games that pay best for you.

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played both for years online and live. My best positive runs online were playing NL. But, both limit and NL online for me in the long run has become a money pit. My live play at cash tables is the complete opposite. I now only play tournaments online, and when playing live will play both.
I just started a thread under the "poker general" prefix explaining in actual dollars where I stand today after years of playing online. The heading for that thread is "Actual Facts Playing online poker".

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way welcome to Cardschat, FLPoker111

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
limit is almost all math, my question for limit players is how good are the other limit players? I'd think with the popularity of NL that most of the people playing limit would know what they were doing in terms of math. Is this true? If it's not I will seriously consider playing limit as it is seriously practically all math.

This is somewhat true, however it should be said that a lot of limit players have converted from NL and haven't adjusted properly, making them surprisingly weak.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Oz, I think whatever you feel most comfortable playing and enjoy the most you will over time earn the most from. Just like Michael Jordan was amazing in the NBA but a bit of a fluke in the MLB.

I

internetpokerdonk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most profitable game is Omaha8. Both limit and pot limit. Both are populated by holdem players who have no clue how to play proper Omaha.

Read many articles on these two games and play them at the $50 level and you will make a steady profit that is several times as high as you could ever hope to make in Holdem.

Holdem is based on luck. You only get two cards and you only see 2/9 of the cards you will use to make your hand. The biggest edge in holdem between AA and 72o is about the same edge you have on many omaha starting hands against many others. AA23, AA24, A234, etc, all blow out of the water hands like 45TT or 78JQ. You rarely get huge edges like that in holdem, and bad omaha players want to play every single hand because they think any four cards could make you a winner.

The key in limit Omaha 8 is playing proper starting hands. Understand what is a good starting hand and raise it before the flop, fold everything else.

The key to PLO8 is freerolling and quartering. You always get people calling their entire stack on a naked nut low and you hold a good high and the nut low...you take half their stack. You also get people who flop the nuts and call off their whole stack hoping for a blank on the turn and a blank on the river when you hold the same hand they have plus a draw to a hand that can beat them.

Learn these concepts and you will win money. The problem is that playing Omaha is boring as hell. There is hardly any bluffing and you fold a hell of a lot more on the flop than you do in holdem.

TheJace

TheJace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hold'em is based on luck? Okay... No. Hold'em is an art form. With only 2 cards hidden and 5 showing you have just the right mix in between available information and the unknown, 50/50 right down the line. Although I'd say 7-card Stud is probably the most difficult variation of poker to master NLHE is right in that sweet spot that makes it such an art and why It's called the Cadillac of Poker.

S

Seneku

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most profitable game is Omaha8. Both limit and pot limit. Both are populated by holdem players who have no clue how to play proper Omaha.

Read many articles on these two games and play them at the $50 level and you will make a steady profit that is several times as high as you could ever hope to make in Holdem.

Holdem is based on luck. You only get two cards and you only see 2/9 of the cards you will use to make your hand. The biggest edge in holdem between AA and 72o is about the same edge you have on many omaha starting hands against many others. AA23, AA24, A234, etc, all blow out of the water hands like 45TT or 78JQ. You rarely get huge edges like that in holdem, and bad omaha players want to play every single hand because they think any four cards could make you a winner.

The key in limit Omaha 8 is playing proper starting hands. Understand what is a good starting hand and raise it before the flop, fold everything else.

The key to PLO8 is freerolling and quartering. You always get people calling their entire stack on a naked nut low and you hold a good high and the nut low...you take half their stack. You also get people who flop the nuts and call off their whole stack hoping for a blank on the turn and a blank on the river when you hold the same hand they have plus a draw to a hand that can beat them.

Learn these concepts and you will win money. The problem is that playing Omaha is boring as hell. There is hardly any bluffing and you fold a hell of a lot more on the flop than you do in holdem.

Just nitpicking here, the biggest edge you can have preflop with hold em is: KK vs K2 with the 2 being the same suit as one of the pocket kings. I also don't believe you can have a 16 to 1 edge (or so) in omaha, but I'm not sure.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played mostly limit since '69 and made the most money there. Most folks have to play where they are comfortable in order to maintain a steady winning average.

To me, no limit games are not an art form at all. It's a 'dare ya to call me' game. Online, all-ins are way too frequent pre-river. Live they are usually a post-river bet, at least that has been my experience.

You can win big, and you can lose big - faaaaast in NL games. One bad turn by Lady Luck and the wife is packing the boxes since you lost the farm - again.

Limit - you are analyzing each card you see, yours and theirs, and making bets or folding accordingly. No limit, being all too often 'all-in', you have only one set of percentages to judge which side of the 70/30 you 'might' be on, and Lady Luck is the dealer.

Live limit games in a 'regular' assembly of players can be a tough grind. In areas that is abound with tourists and occasional gamblers, they love chasing bad draws and can be a great source of income. At least that has been my own experience.

I'll stick with my smaller luxury car with better mileage. The Cadillac of Poker is a gas hog... :D

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've played mostly limit since '69 and made the most money there. Most folks have to play where they are comfortable in order to maintain a steady winning average.

To me, no limit games are not an art form at all. It's a 'dare ya to call me' game. Online, all-ins are way too frequent pre-river. Live they are usually a post-river bet, at least that has been my experience.

You can win big, and you can lose big - faaaaast in NL games. One bad turn by Lady Luck and the wife is packing the boxes since you lost the farm - again.

Limit - you are analyzing each card you see, yours and theirs, and making bets or folding accordingly. No limit, being all too often 'all-in', you have only one set of percentages to judge which side of the 70/30 you 'might' be on, and Lady Luck is the dealer.

Live limit games in a 'regular' assembly of players can be a tough grind. In areas that is abound with tourists and occasional gamblers, they love chasing bad draws and can be a great source of income. At least that has been my own experience.

I'll stick with my smaller luxury car with better mileage. The Cadillac of Poker is a gas hog... :D

This is where BR management comes in. If you play 50 70/30 hands all-in, you will make money. If you are playing to the point where one bad beat kills your BR, you should be playing lower stakes (or waiting until you get some more extra cash). If I can get all my money in the pot in a 70/30 situation, I'd do it any day. Not with $500, but for example the other day, first hand we both had bought in for $50, With AA I was able to get JJ all-in PF (no idea how, he wasn't very good). He flopped a J, I lost, but I was fine because I knew I had plenty to handle that loss and that for every 5 times I have that happen, I win 4 of them. I'm not going to lie, I was a bit pissed, everyone would be, but that's poker. If you can't handle that then you shouldn't be playing NLHE. But in terms of cars, I'll take the bike, all that money on a car that should be going into the poker BR :)

T

tigertight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Midstakes limit = gold.

agreed

KidPoker1986

KidPoker1986

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play some sng's thats how i make a profit online

F

FLPoker111

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
By the way welcome to Cardschat, FLPoker111

Thanks so much for the welcome quads. I almost forgot about this post, to much real life getting in the way of late, (I truly hate working for someone else!)
I've only been at this for a couple of years, and because NL holdem seems to be the most popular game in the world right now, (at least on ESPN), that is where I started.
I've made a conscious effort to play more limit games, (holdem and Omaha), and to learn strategies. I do not happen to believe that it is an all math thing. I play low stakes, which can be frustrating, (definitely takes most of the math and strategy out of the equation), but can also be profitable. My BR has climbed steadily of late, to a point where I may consider medium stakes in the near future.
I really appreciate the information from the board, thanks for taking the time to post!

Top 10 Games