NL vs PL

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally play NL and made the big mistake of accidently ended up on a PL table. (yeah i know look before you leap :D )

Wow, what a totally different game. I couldn't understand everyone drawing to the river with "rubbish" . That is untill I hit QQ as the dealer - bet 4 times the BB was called by 2 players (BB and mid pos) .

Flop 2 5 10 (looking good) looked for the all in button....oh no! pot raise only. BB Calls. Other folds

turn J BB Checks - I raise all in - BB Calls

and shows A 2

river is of course an A.

Is Pot Limit so much different that it allows a 4BB call with A2 and UTG too???

Thank goodness it was only R20 ($4) so a cheap learning curve :p

O

Owned 87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
it can have its advantages.... to a certaint extent but you have to reach into a higher limit at pl to recieve better calls

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I normally play NL and made the big mistake of accidently ended up on a PL table. (yeah i know look before you leap :D )

Wow, what a totally different game. I couldn't understand everyone drawing to the river with "rubbish" . That is untill I hit QQ as the dealer - bet 4 times the BB was called by 2 players (BB and mid pos) .

Flop 2 5 10 (looking good) looked for the all in button....oh no! pot raise only. BB Calls. Other folds

turn J BB Checks - I raise all in - BB Calls

and shows A 2

river is of course an A.

Is Pot Limit so much different that it allows a 4BB call with A2 and UTG too???

Thank goodness it was only R20 ($4) so a cheap learning curve :p

Well considering he probably folds to your all-in, this was better for you (in the long run). He was chasing a 5-outer with 2:1 odds to call. Remember, you win money when your opponents make mistakes. If you push all-in and he folds he made the right play and only loses the initial call. Here you got him to commit all his chips when he was behind. He sucked out on you, but you got what you wanted.

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Zacvac. I get that i was ahead and odds were in my favour.In a NL game I'd probably have pushed all in preflop because of my short stack and most probably get him off the hand (or not..lol).

My play was correct and he sucked out...:)