How do you chose your table?

maybull

maybull

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only played MTT's, freerolls, and SnG's, but want to play on some of the "cash" tables. I'm starting off small (.25/.50) and will work my way up --- but my question is, how do you chose what table to play at?!? There are tons of them (I play at PS). Do you simply decide how many players you want to play against and randomly chose an active table with that many players? Or do you have a table you like to go back to on a regular basis?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not trying to spam or anything, but I honestly use [old link~tb] . It's a website that pretty much chooses the best tables for you to sit at.
As of now, the site doesn't work for pokerstars, but that should change soon, I think.
This post is of little or no use to you, but you asked how, and I told you. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
maybull

maybull

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what info does it use to rate the best tables (that could answer my question :))?

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The more players see the flop, the looser the table is. That's good.

The bigger the average pot is, the wilder the table is. That can be good if you have proper BR and bad if you don't.

It is safer (but not necessarily the most profitable) to play loose passive tables. You want high % of players to see flops, and the average pot to be small.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what info does it use to rate the best tables (that could answer my question :))?

The more players see the flop, the looser the table is. That's good.

The bigger the average pot is, the wilder the table is. That can be good if you have proper BR and bad if you don't.

It is safer (but not necessarily the most profitable) to play loose passive tables. You want high % of players to see flops, and the average pot to be small.

This. ^^^

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too use tableratings.com. Before I started using it, I would look for a high percentage of player seeing the flop and about a $4 average pot for the .10/.25 level. I would also look through the tables for certain players who I knew were horrible.

maybull

maybull

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool, thanks for all the feedback. I'll let u guys know how it goes.

I'm assuming you mean a healthy bankroll compared to whatever level I'm playing so I can withstand any losses??

Thanks again!

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am not trying to spam or anything, but I honestly use [old link~tb]. It's a website that pretty much chooses the best tables for you to sit at.
As of now, the site doesn't work for pokerstars, but that should change soon, I think.
This post is of little or no use to you, but you asked how, and I told you. lol

How could this ever work. People don't select a particular table, they play at the tables that are open. Every table isn't open at any particular time.

Last edited by a moderator:
royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have used it before. If this table is really that loose, I am sitting on the waiting list and playing TAG all night day.
Every single time I have to sit on the waiting list. If you don't have the patience to wait 1-6 minutes for a table, then using this probably is not the best thing for you.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's based on a real-time analysis of the tables at a given site. Like Royal said you'll usually have to wait for a seat but it's definitely worth it. The site is great if you play at 1 of the 3 sites they support.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is real time, what is the base period?

When I said that people play at tables that are open, I meant many times 3, 4, or 5 of the $2 limit tables at FTP will have zero seated. I did not mean I would not wait on a table. I usually check to see marked fish and wait on those tables if possible.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tableratings basically datamines the players stats at their sites of choice (bodog, Party and FTP). They then provide a table rating based on the players at the table that includes there previous winnings/losses and the VPIP of the table etc.
apparently real time data.