Has anyone checked out Club UBT poker site

M

Madness_does

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bro calls me up and says check them out, he must have seen them on tv or something. So I go ahead and download it and first thing I notice is that its the same setup skin as UB poker, umm ok I see they have elimination black jack, so I go through the whole process of signing up, and low and behold at the end in order to play anything like free rolls etc. you have to get a paid membership, they want 20 bucks a month or $155 a year, seems to be backed by phil helmuth, what a shocker that they are charging a membership fee just to join their site, LOL are they freakin nuts, poker sites charging monthly and yearly subscriptions to play on their site, oh boy I see this going real far, what morons, with all the free stuff on poker sites out their I just don't see thousands of people forking over 155 bucks just to have the chance to win something. But if you guys think this is a good deal would like to hear some feed back on why or why it would not be a good idea.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just spent about an hour trying to read through all the terms and guides and here's my take. I don't think it's worth it to pay for a membership for a couple reasons.

(1) You'd have to play a lot to make back the membership fee.
(2) Since everyone's "play chips" account gets reloaded once daily if you drop below 500, I think that you'd run into a lot of total all-in donkfests.

and.. the biggest one:

(3) You don't actually have to have an account to play in the MTT's.

Let me repeat:

You don't actually have to have an account to play in the MTT's.

*By account, I mean the pay membership**

Their big selling point is that it's technically legal under the laws regarding sweepstakes. The huge loophole for someone that doesn't want to pay for the membership is that: (Think about how many times you've seen "No purchase necessary")

You Do Not Need to Join the Club to participate in tournaments. Alternative means of tournament entry. OFFLINE, NO-PURCHASE-NECESSARY, METHOD OF ENTRY: As an alternate means of entry into Club Tournaments, a player must:
1 Register at CLUBUBT.COM as a free player and download and install the software; and 2 For each period that you want to participate in Club Tournaments, send a 3 inch x 5 inch card on which the player has legibly handwritten their CLUBUBT Username, First and Last Name, Complete Mailing Address (e.g. Street, City, State, ZIP code), Email Address, and Date of Birth. The card must be placed in a envelope, and mailed to PO Box 30488 Las Vegas Nevada 89173. 3 No photocopies, reproductions or facsimiles of the 3 inch x 5 inch card are allowed. 4 The usage of a service to provide the production of the 3 inch x 5 inch card will not be allowed. 5 For each individual registration, the Player will be given a 30-day period of Membership to Club Tournaments.
dot_white.gif
The period will begin on the Monday following the day the mail-in entry is processed. 6 Approved mail-in entries will receive Tournament Points in accordance with Section 1.4 above or will have access to any tournament points they have accumulated in the past if greater than 500 Tournament Points.
dot_white.gif
Tournament Points accumulated during previous periods will remain with the players account.From the terms listed here:

I heard about one of these sites on the AnteUp! podcast, and they said the play on there was really loose and really really bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
wickedlovely

wickedlovely

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I too spent a bit of time reading the TOS. I agree with what Effexor states.

Also my feeling is the site is targeted at individuals who are worried about the legality of playing online poker. The TOS goes to some lengths to state that no cash or wagering is involved and that it offers a play/instructional environment only. TOS further state info regarding taxation of prizes. [old link]

If you do invest money here the only thing you can hope to get back is some sort of prize.

Passing on this site is probably the best idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One for the "pro/pluse" column: Club UBT is endorsed by Anthony Curtis' highly respected LasVegasAdvisor. For a while they were offering an extra of their "pocket book of values" when you signed up (not sure if that offer is still going on).

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I found funny is that even after all this effort to make it legal, they still only have 39 states listed where you are allowed to play from.

And yes, it's the same 39 states that it's legal to play poker online anyways.

... remind me again what this site actually accomplishes????....

M

Mudster

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not a bad site

I personally play on club ubt and find it to be an entertaining alternative to the "money" sites. There are some serious "donkfests" as someone mentioned before, but after 10 minutes, most of them are gone. For the 20 bucks a month, you get a lot of opportunities to make your money back. My parents make 100-200 a month on the site and i've won over $700 in prizes and $40 in cash in about 8 months( I don't play many "cash prize" games but that is the route they are going to. I'd say try it out if you want to do something different and if you don't like it, bow out.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lmao . this post is older than you are .

try intro section , might be better for your first post.