Cooler or Played to Fast?

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I joined up in a $.50-$1 NL ring game yesterday. My first one, most of you know I have had great success at $.25-.50. So I was doing ok, up to about $130 and this hand comes along. I'd like to know if I played it too fast and just did not think I could of been beat, or was this just a cooler.

I'm sitting in MP, raised past few hands PF taking it down preflop or on the flop. I raise it to $3 with 10-10. Folds to the SB who makes it $5 to go, min raised. I called.

Flop: K-10-4 Rainbow

He checks, and I bet $8.. he min. raises to $16. I put him on AK and just think how I am going to bust him for all his chips. I smooth call.

Turn: 7

He checks, I bet $20.. he min. raises to $40. I push him all in for about $40 more.

Obviously you guys know he has KK, and I have 1010. Top set vs mid set. The case 10 doesn't come and I am down to about $20.

Cooler? Or no. Advice?

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My bad, can a Mod put this in Ring Hand Analysis?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get your money in with a flopped set every time. Unless the board is very obvious like 4 flushes etc. This is part of the variance of the game, I know that youve been playing lots of nl$50, I dont think that youve played enough hands to be moving up yet though. You need to have played 10k+ hands at each level before moving up. Oh you need to have a bankroll of around 2K to be playing the nl$100 tables as well.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get your money in with a flopped set every time.
^that.

Reraise the flop and get your stack in if possible. Definite cooler here, but I'm sure you've heard the saying - if you didn't go broke with set over set, than you played it wrong.

edit: oh, and also just an emphasis on what tb said regarding moving up in levels. 50NL-100NL is one of the bigger jumps in skill, and you should have plenty of 50nl hands under your belt before moving up.

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I figured I could step it up with $700 and play in the $100 max game. I know I can beat it, but I can't sustain losses. I'll be back in the usual $50 max game now, and for awhile. I have a week left in germany, and then I will be playing live in upstate New York. Also, I am going to be doing a few more tournies then usual online. I've played about 15 MTT's and cashed in about 35% of them so far. I'd like to cash in a $24+2 one though, I've been tilting though since that set loss. Breathe in and out, still over $500.

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, immediatly I could tell the difference between $50 max and $100 max. Much more aggression, defending, etc. Can't just CBet and get away with it the whole time. People float a lot.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ I was wondering why you were awake at 4 AM...

$700 isn't even enough for 50NL man. I know bugging about BR management is annoying, but really, it'll bite you in the ass. Unless the money really means very little to you, I seriously suggest dropping down to 25NL or depositing a few hundred more.

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously, I think $25 max is a joke. When I started my whole bankroll thing about 3 weeks ago which started at $20, I really stated at micro limits. As I tell people, it really eats you up. I hate it with a passion, and the minimum I can see myself playing now is $50 max. I still use good BR management with MTT and SNG, but obviously not with cash. Over $500 is using 10% of my BR for a buyin, which is ok.. I know it'd be better to have a grand.

I've been playing $50max for about 2 weeks now, and have lost 1 buyin. The rest have been profits, a few going over $200 in a session. As long as I feel comfortable in my $50max game I am going to play it.. plus I don't have money to deposit. I'm hoping to grind my way back up to a grand within this week, and then I will be withdrawing $500 to add to my live money.

Chuck, what do you play.. what is your bankroll?

mixmaster_matt

mixmaster_matt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, I figured I could step it up with $700 and play in the $100 max game. I know I can beat it, but I can't sustain losses. I'll be back in the usual $50 max game now, and for awhile. I have a week left in Germany, and then I will be playing live in upstate New York. Also, I am going to be doing a few more tournies then usual online. I've played about 15 MTT's and cashed in about 35% of them so far. I'd like to cash in a $24+2 one though, I've been tilting though since that set loss. Breathe in and out, still over $500.

Where are you playing live upstate? Turning Stone? Or up north more?

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turning Stone. I'll probably be going.. August 6th-7th, possibily the 8th. Will be playing $100max $1/2 and probably one tournament. You live up there or what?

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
get pt. chart your bb/100 over 10k hands at 50max. you are *almost* rolled enough for that, plus you sound like a decent enough player.

i didnt move up to 100max til my br was $1600~ or so. and to $200max til i was where i am now. and since taking hiatus im doing another 10k hands at 100max before i move back up again.

mixmaster_matt

mixmaster_matt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turning Stone. I'll probably be going.. August 6th-7th, possibily the 8th. Will be playing $100max $1/2 and probably one tournament. You live up there or what?

Not up there, but i go when i have the chance. I am gonna be there the 11th for Event 1 of the Empire State Holdem Championships. I am off those days that you will be there, so maybe i will take a ride up and play some. The 1/2 tables are very easy as long as you are patient. Some of the older guys are good players, but the majority are complete fish...

The daily tourneys that start at noon aren't bad either, usually around $1600 for first. Check it out.

W

will- e -gamble

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to pay him off with that hand because I would have been thinking about how I could get his money with middle set too!

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chuck, what do you play.. what is your bankroll?

My roll is at ~$700 right now, but had been swinging from $600 to $900 when I was playing a lot a few weeks ago. I'm kind of on a break for now.

I mainly play PS's $16 turbo STTs, and the occasional small rebuy ($10 and under). I rarely play cash, but when I do it's 50NL or 25NL with the CC'ers.

pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok thanks for the comments back guys. I'll be just playing $50max for a lot more hands then. I placed 1st in a $5 MTT yesterday which was pretty nice brought my roll back up. Mix matt hopefully I will see you at turning stone, I'll let you know exactly when I am going. I've been there before and you are right about the tables, 75% fish.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I joined up in a $.50-$1 NL ring game yesterday. My first one, most of you know I have had great success at $.25-.50. So I was doing ok, up to about $130 and this hand comes along. I'd like to know if I played it too fast and just did not think I could of been beat, or was this just a cooler.

I'm sitting in MP, raised past few hands PF taking it down preflop or on the flop. I raise it to $3 with 10-10. Folds to the SB who makes it $5 to go, min raised. I called.

Flop: K-10-4 Rainbow

He checks, and I bet $8.. he min. raises to $16. I put him on AK and just think how I am going to bust him for all his chips. I smooth call.

Turn: 7

He checks, I bet $20.. he min. raises to $40. I push him all in for about $40 more.

Obviously you guys know he has KK, and I have 1010. Top set vs mid set. The case 10 doesn't come and I am down to about $20.

Cooler? Or no. Advice?
This is the first time I have read this post and I have to ask, what had you put your villian on preflop based on his bet and your reads you have on him?

Last edited:
pezjb

pezjb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop I would put him on AK, AQ, AJ.. any PP higher than 88. Yes, if I put deep thought about it I could of eventually put him on Kings after his min. raises, but I didn't. That is where my play needs to get better, even with a monster I still can be beat.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once you get used to it i think youll find 100NL easier than 50NL.

Anyway, about the hand.

Unless you see the player do it with other hands, usually when you get re-raised preflop, you should assume its AA-KK-QQ.

99% of the time against an unknown players, its one of those.

Ak doesnt often reraise out of position this small i think.

You flopped a set though, and usually sets vs sets = someone getting broke. So shouldnt beat yourself up over it.

Maybe if you had narrowed his range to AA or KK preflop, you couldve exercised some kind of pot control (as in just calling down to the river and not raising) but i think thats just being results oriented a bit.

Nothing to beat yourself over, was just unlucky.