Chosing your seat

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When joining a table is it better to sit to the left or right of a big stack?

Surely to the left.

This gives you position on them and you can avoid their big bluffs without committing any money to the pot.

The reason why I ask is that Ive been watching a table for about an hour with two biggish stacks and people always join to the right of them. The bigger stacks obliterates them in short order. I have been watching them for a while and ones a solid but very aggressive player (IMO that is) and normally places well in tourneys etc. The person to his left is nowhere near as good but is still maintaining his stack.

Insomniac_1006

Insomniac_1006

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, to the left. They are more prone to try to bully if they have a huge stack. I f you don't have cards that you want to play, you can toss 'em.

I personnally like to sit down at a table that is just forming with the max limit buy-in.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the one hand, if the big stack is to your right, you can be protected from a lot of marginal hands. The big stack makes many of your iffy decisions for you, when he is aggressive, you want to be extremely strong to even get into the pot.

On the other hand, if the big stack is too your left, you will have to be almost ultra aggressive to get him to respect you. This puts you in serious jeopardy.
You can't steal as often, and bluffing becomes less profitable.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends if big stack is aggro or weak/tight imo

ratmantoo

ratmantoo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Valid point Vanquish, something Ill look out for and try out. Thank You

Dj.. thats how I figured it. I don't usually bluff much but find I can till steal the blinds