Bankroll Question

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've posted about playing mainly 6 handed $10 + $1 SNGs for about the past month. I have increased my bankroll to $300, then to $400, and now around $550. I always multi-table 2 at a time, as to save time in case I take a beat in one. Now that I am bankrolled for the $20 + $2 SNGs, should I move up to that level? I feel like I can answer my own question...although I have the roll, I feel like if I were to run bad for say, 5 games at $10, I could mentally handle the swing and keep playing my best game. However, if I took 5 blows at $20, I think it would hurt me more than playing at the lower level. I still think it's best that I stay at the lower limit, due to my comfort level and my ability of play. With that in mind and the roll stated, are there any other opinions?

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no need in moving up if ur not comfortable where u are going
stay with the 10$ sngs and when u feel secure that u can handle the swings of 20$ sngs then move

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When your comfortable you could also mix in a $20 game as well. No reason you can't play both levels for a while.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, don't make a sudden and discrete move. Stay mainly with the moneymaker, and start adding in a bigger game. Maybe 1 a day.

We here would love to get a report with what you think the differences are between the 2 levels. (not so subtle request for you to approach the move methodically:D).

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Moving up should be based on more than just the ratio of buyins to your bankroll. As mentioned, one factor is your level of comfort with the higher buyin. Another is whether your game is ready for the next level. Of course, you have to try to know, so nothing wrong with doing so. However, from a strictly monetary point of view - which isn't the only consideration - the idea behind moving up is to make more money per hour of your time, so that's the key thing to measure. For instance, if moving up means playing one table at a time instead of two, it may be more profitable not to.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You certainly have enough BR for 2 tabling the $20's imo. But just as a precaution set yourself a stop/loss for the day, and also if you fall below 20-25 buy in's drop back down again to the $10's. SnG's can be really swingy and it's not unusual for a decent player to be out of the money in 10-15 games.

You have built your BR you don't want to destroy it by going on a bad run. Stick to a plan and your br will be fine.

Last edited:
Munchrs

Munchrs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
try playing 1 of each for a while, 1 $11 and 1 $22 at once see how that goes. If you start losing money then just move back down.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I wouldn't play $20 games w that br. I would want at least $1700 for twenty dollar games. I want to be able to lose 10x the buy-in without it being too much of a blow.
Here and here are some threads with articles you might find interesting.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I wouldn't play $20 games w that br. I would want at least $1700 for twenty dollar games. I want to be able to lose 10x the buy-in without it being too much of a blow.
Here and here are some threads with articles you might find interesting.

Wow Alien, you BR nit you! And here's me thinking I was conservative :D.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management